New features for iChat

huck

Registered
Just checked out Adium (www.adiumx.com). I saw one feature that really grabbed me and that was the organization of chat windows. Instead of having each chat in a seperate window, you can have them in one window and click on each chat using a tab/tabs.

I think that is a must have for 10.4.

peace.

dlloyd said:
What, we've had this before?

we've had the

"adium rules"
"no way, adium sucks, proteus is a million times better"
"why would you use anything but iChat"
"I'm still using fire"
"what's wrong with AIM?"

discussion many times. to each his own :p

Back to the original post of the thread: Yes, I would like iChat to adopt a system of this sort. And Apple already knows how to do this, right? Look at iTunes' three-pane interface. That'll do. One for the users (showing whether a chat is active as well) on the left, one for the chat, and one for the video if applicable.

Sorry if this is a little bit off-topic, but does anyone know if they plan to add iSight capability to MSN Messenger, like, at all?

That may even not solve my problem actually.
What I need to do is get webcam-chatting to my brother, who lives in New Zealand, and is a (Oh, the shame!) PC user. So yes, I could probably sign up for an AIM account and get an iSight, and persuade him to get an AIM account, but even then would we still be able to see and hear each other?

You can use iChat and your Brother could use AIM and video chat. I do it all the time with two different friends using PC's.

Fantastic, thanks bobw, been looking for a definite answer to this before I commit. I'll shortly be posting a link to "MacMuppets MacTastic PayPal iSight Fund".... not really.

back to the idea of features in ichat, i really want better aim compatibility. would like to edit my info and have auto replies included in ichat (currently use iCAR for autoreplies). but really i like ichat, though one pane would be nice.

the only thing that sucks about 3rd party aim clients (other than Fire and iChat) is that they all cost money WHICH IS LAME!

I'm planning on buying an iSight but it sucks that only iChat takes advantage of the device so far. Would love to use it on MSN messenger. Sucks that Microsoft hasn't thought about implementing iSight support yet.

I won't use iChat until it has a single or dual window mode. I switched to Adium back in the day because of its single window mode (similar to the iTunes comment from before) but now in version 2, there is only dual window support... which is too bad really.

MacMuppet said:
Sorry if this is a little bit off-topic, but does anyone know if they plan to add iSight capability to MSN Messenger, like, at all?...
Didn't the last iChat update that came through Software Update say it had compatibility with MSN Messenger?

Back