new file/folder permissions on shared volumes

hak7

Registered
I inherited support of three Mac Pros used for graphic design at our company. All three have different logins & passwords; but any of 5 designers can sit down at any of the three Mac Pros and work on designs. They are not required to logon; but just use the Mac as it is already logged onto the network. We had a laCie 'server' disk go bad, so new larger seagate drives were put on one of the Mac Pros as shared volumes, and all the files were moved over to the first new drive (the second acting as a backup until a new NAS is decided on and budgets approved).

All three Mac Pros are running Snow Leopard. I set all three logons as users on the Mac Pro 1, with a common group. The group has read/write access on all files. The problem arises when a new project is started, say on Mac Pro 2, then the project needs changes by the person on Mac Pro 3. The new files always only allow read/write for the creator/owner; but only read for the group or others/everyone. This occurs whether I apply 'Ignore Permissions"; or force logging in or not on the new volume.

What happens is someone has to go back to Mac Pro 2 and add new permissions to allow read/write for either everyone or the common group before anyone on Mac Pro 3 can change the files. The Parent folder still has read/write for the group & even for 'everyone'.

I've have seen similar problems, even on some NAS'es, after Leopard; but I have not found a solution that actually works.

I am thinking ACL's may work for us; but I am concerned about spanning new ACL's across all of our directories.

Thanks,

Kerry

thanks - TinkerTool likes like it will do the job!

I'll post more info after I try it out.

Kerry

ACL's did do the trick, and TinkerTool System 2 made it pretty easy. I ran into two files that gave errors when assigning the ACLs, so the spanning stopped at them. I moved them into a different folder, reran TT and all went well.

We do also have one person using a thumb drive for their work while we were having permission issues. I saw that 'copying' files onto the server drive did assign the ACL's. I did not get to try 'moving' files from the thumb drive, so I don't know if moved files also inherit ACL's.

After I resolve getting the shared folder to to force a login, I will be able to simplify the the ACL structure even more.

Thanks again for your help,

Kerry

Back