New G4?

New G4 or wait to see if a G5 is released?

• Go for it and get it now

• No, Wait...See what Steve has up his sleeve in July

Results are only viewable after voting.

HyperLiteG4

Registered
Ok, I know I probably got a bunch of people to wonder if they were gonna release a new G4. I have no idea, I'm just here to ask the question about if I should get a new dual 1Ghz G4 or should I wait and see if a G5 comes out? Anyone have any pros and cons? I'm not sure what I should do. I would like to get a new machine right now but then again, it seems everytime I buy a new mac, less than 1 month later a newer, bigger and better one comes out. Should I wait or not?

next g4 is probably going to be

1ghz 256 ddr 60 gig hard drive dvd/cdrw

1.2 512 ddr 60 gig hard drive superdrive

dual 1.4 512 ddr 80 gig hard drive superdrive

Wait until a new PowerMac is released. Hopefully, it will be the G5. If it is a G4, you will get mucho improvements with DDR Ram, bigger Ram capacity, hopefully a faster FSB etc.

Well, as I said, a faster FSB should be in the cards. Now we could have the RAM to actually feed the CPU in a decent speed, so please, give as a faster FSB, so that finally also those Mhz numbers get even again....

Who cares what the next G4 is going to be, im hopping that they go back to the G3 architecture and breakout with a new processor ( perhaps G5? ) comming close to 2GHz or possibly passing it. We need to close the gap! NOW NOW NOW!

why should they go back to the G3 in order to jump to the G5? (???!)

The rumours are awake, anyway. I'm for an increase in the TiBook. The 800 MHz machine may be alright right now, but I wouldn't *buy* it. And normally after more than a year, I'd expect there to be a much bigger jump than the one I'd take now. Right now I'd gain 24 MB of VRAM, 300 MHz and a bit of bus speed. And I'd lose my IrDA-net connection through my Nokia Communicator, which is a great thing when I'm somewhere outside. I really don't understand how they could let go of IrDA before adding Bluetooth. (And *no*, having to use an USB Bluetooth- or IrDA-adapter isn't really an option.)

I want G4s with up to 1.5 GHz and *all* models should be dual processor machines. I want a TiBook with 1 GHz and either Bluetooth or IrDA included. The iBooks should be G4s, finally and the iMac *definitely* needs a better graphics card. GeForce 4MX should be *really* low end by now. Not because there's nothing worse than it, but because I expect Apple's machines to excel at even the low end entry machine.

*sigh* ... okay. enough ranted. :)

i think if people have a midrange G4 to high end they would wait for G5. midrange i think is 733 G4. high end would be 800/867/933/1ghz/dual 800. well you guys know what i mean. if you have say a 400-533 then they might upgrade. i have a dual 450 i want to sell and wanna get a dual 800 for around $2000. then i would wait tilll they had dual G5/1.8ghz or so.
but if i had a 733 or better I'd wait to get a dual G5 2ghz or something. if i had a dual 533 i'd upgrade. in my opinion a dual 533 is low end big time. it's an ok machine compared to the newer ones.

They are going to revamp the iBook line before they come out with new G4 towers. The new iBooks will most likely have G4's (They already did iMacs so it would only make sense, especially with Jag coming)

Originally posted by buggs1a
i think if people have a midrange G4 to high end they would wait for G5. midrange i think is 733 G4. high end would be 800/867/933/1ghz/dual 800. well you guys know what i mean. if you have say a 400-533 then they might upgrade. i have a dual 450 i want to sell and wanna get a dual 800 for around $2000. then i would wait tilll they had dual G5/1.8ghz or so.
but if i had a 733 or better I'd wait to get a dual G5 2ghz or something. if i had a dual 533 i'd upgrade. in my opinion a dual 533 is low end big time. it's an ok machine compared to the newer ones.

Heh, if I had 4 grand I'd buy one, but not until after I see what's going to come out in the summer.

I'm still putting along on my G4 400:p
It's a good machine though, and I'll probably keep it until it dies.

gives you your answer, and I for one think you should wait also (I'm in the same position).

Whatever they do with the next G4 (G5?) release, it will HAVE TO be a major step up from what's on offer at the moment, otherwise people will lose confidence in Apple's professional workstation commitments!

Logic would dictate that the new G4's that will debut at MWNY, will probably have these features:

1) CPU - Safe bet would be 1.0ghz, 1.2ghz, and 1.4 dual ghz on the top end. If Motorola has their stuff together we might see 1.6 on the top end. Moto has been demoing them, but who knows if the yields are good enough yet.

2) Now that the Xserve has DDR SDRAM, expect this to be in the new PowerMacs as well. Apple will probably bring DDR SDRAM to the L3 cache, as it did on the Xserve.

3) Will the Hypertransport bus make it in to this revision? Let's hope so, but since it didn't make it in to Xserve, this is iffy...

4) I'm sure Apple will stick with nVidia GF4 MX cards for most machines, with the BTO option for the GF4 Titanium. Let's hope Apple has the supply issues cleared up by then.

The only other big question is whether FireWire 2 will be included in this new G4. I'm betting that it will, since Apple sorely needs new technologies to drive it's professional sales, since lots of users have been hanging on to their towers for more than 2 years.

Back