New G5 shipping delays

bubbajim

Mac-Junkie
Placed my order for a DP2.0 CTO the morning they were announced. I got an estimate of on or before 6/16. Of course it didn't make that deadline, it just wouldn't be Apple if they did. Now it's pushed out to the 28th.

Is there any others out there with new orders for the 2.0? Is anyone else get theirs yet?

Don't get me wrong, I'm waiting. I disappointed that after dry spell in updates they can't get their supply up and provide what they sell.

Just checked with an AppleRep and was told that for the most part the units were shipping on time, but as of yesterday they have now been pushed out till the 28th without much of a reason as to why.

Err, thats strange, why would they go from being able to ship the high end dual 2.0, and now that it's not the high end there is a delay :confused:

Not to start any rumors... BUT,
My friend the Apple rep is secretly hoping the delays are due to Steve-O springing the 3Ghz procs on everyone at WWDC. He is telling me that the new machines are simply not being shipped in large volumes despite the supposed early availability of the machines.
Would be one hell of a "one more thing"

"All of you who ordered the dual 2.5, sorry but you are gonna have to take the dual 3 instead for the same price."

That would be a hell of a thing!

Not that I believe it for a second mind you.

That doesn't make much sense at all. They'd have to revamp the lowend and mid range as well then, and so they would have to take every machine back and trade it for the new one.

still a nice dream......guess it was pushed back to the day of WWDC because Apple's hoping developers go out and buy it after they see it go up against the PC and beat it in all the tests :) .

My shipping status hasn't changed at all. The estimated date is to be on or before 6/21. Does that mean the day it ships or the day I'm supposed to receive it? If its 6/21, which is Monday, I would have expected it to have shipped by now.

But if its late, no bother. I'm in the process of redoing the office/playroom anyway. Started painting the other night. Ripping the carpet up this weekend. And I still need to replace my crappy desks with a nice one either from Anthro or Ikea. So it would be nice to have my office ready and waiting for my Mac.

The Apple rep at my local CompUSA told me the other day they had the new ones in already. Told me to cancel my order and buy his. I would have considered it but I'm getting 1GB of memory and a 250MB drive along with bluetooth and the ATI Radeon 9600.

I ordered a DP 1.8 on the day they were announced. My est. shipping date was yesterday (6/26), but I too got an email saying the shipping date had slipped to "on or before 6/28".

Fortunately, I received another email, today, notifying me that my G5 has been shipped. Bubbajim, check your email.

Doug

no such luck for me... I check the order status page religiously every evening @ 9:00pm PST until I see a tracking number. Just checked now and still set for the 28th. What I added to my custom config: 512MB ram, upgraded to a 250GB drive, bluetooth, Radeon 9600 Pro. Nothing that should have delayed it in my opinion.

bubbajim:

Too bad. I also did a custom config.

DP 1.8
Combo drive (already have Superdrive in iMac)
no modem (welcome to the 21st century)
Radeon 9600 (for the GAMES, man)
Applecare

I also got a printer, an HP PSC 2175 All-In-One with the $99 rebate. VERY nice printer, nice to have a copier too. I just bought an HP Photosmart a month ago. Oops.

Doug

Excellent! Not only am I getting a G5, but in July I'll FINALLY have access to broadband out here in the boonies in southern Michigan. I'm already thinking about what I'll need to do to keep my computer safe from attacks from the web.

Oh. Wait. I have a Mac. ;)

Doug

dktrickey said:
Excellent! Not only am I getting a G5, but in July I'll FINALLY have access to broadband out here in the boonies in southern Michigan. I'm already thinking about what I'll need to do to keep my computer safe from attacks from the web.

Oh. Wait. I have a Mac. ;)

Doug

Don't directly attach your G5 to your cable/dsl modem. The router has built-in firewall. So combining that with your G5's firewall, you should be plenty safe. Look for either a Linksys, Netgear, or D-Link. They are all similar although the D-Link I had didn't seem as configurable for allowing incoming ports.

Back