New Get a Mac Ad

Amusing but kind of over the top. The more viciously they bash MS, the more desperate Apple seems. And why is it that anytime you download a file in Tiger you get a stupid dialog box warning This file might contain an application, do you want to continue? Either I know it is an application, that's why I am downloading it; or, if it is not supposed to contain an application, why can't Tiger tell for sure whether it really does? The whole little confirmation thingy is completely useless and annoying.:mad:

But I digress. John Hodgman rulez!::love:: :) :D

you get a stupid dialog box warning This file might contain an application, do you want to continue?

This is for safety. You can turn that warning off in Safari's preferences under the General tab 'Open safe files'.

I have to agree, this one was by far one of the best. After having played with the beta and RCs, it's so true! ::ha::

Great ad, they nailed the ending. "You are coming to a sad realization, cancel or allow?" ; "Allow (dejected)".

This is for safety. You can turn that warning off in Safari's preferences under the General tab 'Open safe files'.

I have that box checked and I still get the warning.

My favorite ads are the Angel/Devil and Sabotage. Ha ha ha.

Best ad yet. I watched it about 5 times in a row, and laughed outloud each time. Reminds me of using "Little Snitch".

I don't think its over the top. Its one thing to install an app to do that, vs what the OS just recommends doing.

As I pointed out already in the Cafe forum - Mac drops the F bomb in this ad. 10 seconds into it he mouths (and you can hear if you listen) "What the F..."

:)

I think the ads are tired and do nothing to promote the hardware. They really need to refocus on the hardware and less on cute ads that do nothing to show the diversity of the Mac.

I agree apple needs to show off the hardware and software in use in their ads (esp iLife apps), but I think they avoid it because they don't want it to come off like an infomercial -- not really Apple's style. They did release a print ad that was a little better, but I'm yet to see one in a magazine.

having said that, i think these ads are smart, as they are tapping into what makes people switch. I sometimes listen to Leo Laporte's KFI Tech Guy show, and 90% of his calls are Windows users with spyware/viruses. I've heard quite a few say they are fed up with it, and looking at a mac.

If that is what is making people switch,apple is smart to focus on it.

I think these people may even be intimidated by an ad showing apple computers in use, becuase it is so unfamiliar.

I agree with TTC, the problem is that many PC users have been PC users for a long while. If you would say to them, "look, try my Mac. You can do the same things but it never crashes!" They'll either answer "no, my PC is just fine" or "Macs are bad because nothing works with them". Those are just excuses, because most people are so unfamiliar with the Mac OS that it would feel for them as if they would start from the beginning again. For example my dad: He is 60 now. He used Windows since Windows 95. I told him he should by a Mac, but then he said: "I was a PC newbie since Windows 95 came out. Now I know myself around and I like using Windows. If I would have to switch to Apple, I'd again be a newbie. I don't want that." Thats the problem with many, they're just too lazy to start from the beginning again.

What's sad is that they don't understand that there's not that much to learn. The fundamentals are pretty much the same on any GUI-based OS. About the only thing they have to learn on the Mac are the nuances that might be somewhat different than Windows, such as the maximize issue and some keyboard shortcuts and the buttons being on the left.. Other than that, it's just plain FUD that they're succumbing to.

Back