New Ghz iMacs are really fast!!!

theCaptain

Member that enjoys Meece
I swear to god it feels like im on Dual Gig Tower they are soo speedy! I dont know if its the 133mhz bus, the DDR Ram, the 64mb VRam, 7200 rpm drives, the Ghz proccessor, or just a huge combination of all these (probablly this). This thing smokes the hell out of my 800 iMac and that is pretty damn fast itself! These things are amazing if your in the market to pick up a very decently priced new mac, think of one of these!

really? crap...how can you afford so many macs!? hm...i need to make more money to buy more macs as well!:D

Yes, I have noticed his signiture for a while now. I bet he must be in about the top 5% or so of Mac users when it comes to 'lots of Macs'!
I wish I could afford all those. But honestly, if I could have a 15" Powerbook, I would be in heaven!

To be honest I spend all my money on macs and DV Camcorders like the (XL1S! recently). I can't help it, I just cant get enough of them. I dedicate them all to different purposes [film editing] [Flash Animation/ Maya stuff] [Photoshop] [Traveling] [Internet and games/typing papers] and I could never bring myself to sell any of them. I dont plan on getting another mac for at least two years now. My next one will be a Powerbook in 2004!

I've been looking to replace ol' faithful. (350 G3 B&W OC'd to 400) I was pondering actualy stepping up and getting the dual 1.25 tower instead of the single 1GHz, speed being the determining factor. The only thing stopping me is the serious difference in price. If you're seeing a huge difference between an 800 iMac and the new 1ghz iMac I don't think I'll be dissapointed in the single 1ghz machine.

or..

if he is lucky enough to go out with the types of women ive gone out with a couple times, they'll love ya for it :)

(graphic design women, love em)

I am married to a beautiful Italian woman for your information. She respects my mac habits because she knows how productive they make me. Its funny you should mention that Jason because my wife is a Graphic Design major. I will perhaps get you kids a pic of the screen, but it is essentially the same as the 800mhz 17in iMac. To answer your question Chevy, yes I have tried a DP 1ghz and I honestly see this thing being just as fast. If you dont believe me go try for yourself. I just would have an impossible time believing how anyone wouldnt be completely satisfied with this new iMac. I mean when it first came out some kind of blew it off, but Apple really did go through and update a hell of a lot of internal features! I couldnt have made a better purchase!

by the way, my wife and I share all these macs

Hi Captain, I'm not sure this is the place to speak about the qualities and defaults of Italian women...

My interest here is to understand what is the factor of speed for the new iMac 1GHz. The new PM 1 GHz has the same configuration, but the bus is managed by the new controller. And the new DP 1.25 has a dual CPU + the new system controller + 333MHz memory access.

They all share the 7200 rpm disk, the PM adds L3 cache.

I'm happy for your wife!

I'm Italian too... and I still live in Italy... for what I do at home, my eMac 700 is just fine! ;)

At work I still have an old PM G4 with 1024MB...
But is is fine...

Hope you are having the same happyness I have when I'm on a Mac to work or to have fun ;)

The 17" iMac iis really beautiful... I'll have one one day, or I'll get a PowerBook...

Ciao

My Indigo G3/500 is already too much for my girlfriend ;).

As we don't have TV,
As we don't have enough money to buy daily press,
As we can't to the movies every night,
I do all this on the Mac. Hence, 3hrs/day in front of it. :D

Is that all the time you spend in front of it?

It might be sad if I admitted how often I am in front of my Mac. I told somebody once that I spend more time with it than I do my friends haha..

Chevy my good friend, I am speaking of day to day mac use, opening apps, navigating the desktop that sort of fun stuff. Run some photoshop tests and the DP would probablly smoke the iMac, naturally.

By the way I forgot to mention before but if anyone cares the new iMac has Audio in!

Originally posted by theCaptain
Chevy my good friend, I am speaking of day to day mac use, opening apps, navigating the desktop that sort of fun stuff. Run some photoshop tests and the DP would probablly smoke the iMac, naturally.

By the way I forgot to mention before but if anyone cares the new iMac has Audio in!

Audio in is very good.

For interface responsiveness, indeed, even my B&W G3 does it... so I can imagine the new iMac must be fantastic... and iTunes graphics fantastic.

The next point is how fast do application work, like Latex, or compilers, or even games.

I wouldnt be lying if I said very fast. Rendering is very speedy in iMovie and FCP. Other than that all the iApps are instantaneous. Most other third party Apps seem to work very fast. I havent compiled anything yet so I will have to get back to you on that. If you live close to an Apple store I recommend giving one a try to get a feeling for yourself.

Back