new HD not showing up

internal or external?
USB or Firewire?

If its firewire i dont know why that would happen, i haven't heard many complaints about them, other than thwe fact that you cannot install OS X directly onto an external HD.

If it's USB, i'm not sure how well they are supported now, if they ever are. Other people may be able to help you more in this area.

If its internal there are a number of problems that can occur.

So basically the HD doesn't show up right? did you format it correctly?

Well it's USB, and it's external. I didn't know that USB drives werent supported? Id hate to return it if there is anyway to get it to work correctly. How do I format it? It's not showing up at all on anything.

I'm no expert on USB drives, in fact, i haven't heard much at all about them. Is is supposed to be hot pluggable? I know that USB zip drives worked under 10.0, which makes me wonder why a HD couldn't be supported...

Hmm mabey someone else could help, possibly someone at the company knows, im sure they've been asked before. Good luck, ill continue this thread if i can find anything at apple's website.

sorry, missed that part abotu formatting it. In order to format the disk (if its being detected in the first place) you need to open up the applications folder and enter the utilities folder, and inside is the disk utility. Run the app, then select initialize, if there is an option to do this to the USB disk, go ahead and do it, when it asks you for the format type, select HFS+. If the USB disk doesn't show up, then the computer and drive are obviously not connecting at all, whether from a faulty drive or no driver. DO NOT initialize your 6GB disk.

BTW a drive can show up in disk utility but not show up anywhere else. So dont think that just because you can see it in the finder, that the computer doesn't know its there. The apple system profiler can also help you determine this.

Thanks for your kindness except my problem isnt solved yet. The drive shows up in Apple System Profiler, but doesnt show up in Disk utility. I tried Disk utility earlier when i first got it and it still didn't work.:( :(

Back