new here need a little help

digitalmaddog

Registered
just got a ibook 500 dual usb and cd only added 256 ram so it brought it up a little on speed --- it has 10.0 but i got 10.3.4 and want to install it ( of course its a dvd and the mac is cd only) --- i have an external usb dvd drive but i did a little looking on line and it seems that it will not boot from the usb ( like all my other win boxes---im moving away from them and this is a start!!) is there software to split the dvd and put it on cd or can i swap out the dvd that is usb and make it a firewire ext drive --- will it boot ??? or copy all the info to a 3g ipod and boot of that ( will i need to reformat the ipod for mac ??

thanks for the help!!

if its in the wrong listing please move

dm

My advice (for what it's worth) would be to get a copy of Tiger. I think it's available on CD as a special order from Apple. The iBook must have a firewire port? If so, why not look out for an external firewire DVD writer? I picked up an excellent Lacie DVD RW drive on ebay for less than £30.

You can boot a Mac from a firewire linked iPod (Mac formatted, I would think), but installing an OS from one sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Tiger's not the best OS for that machine, Panther is. You'll either need an internal DVD drive or a Firewire DVD drive (or a Mac with a firewire port and a DVD drive you can use in target mode, which'll mount that Mac's harddrive and inserted DVD on your iBook).

http://www.applerescue.com/

They'll have versions of OS X at good prices. I believe the reason they're so cheap is that they have the "dot-zero" versions and not the completely up to date versions. But if you download the Combo Updater for your version of OS X, that should get you updated quickly

thanks for all the help ive heard that tiger may be a bit too much but panther would be great --- ill look to see if i cant put my hands on the fire wire dvd drive---- thanks for the link for the software!!!

thanks

dm

Back