New iBook vs used Pismo

dlloyd

Official Pianist
I have the choice of getting a used Powerbook Pismo, or a new base model iBook. What do you guys think would be the best choice?
I am leaning toward the iBook because of the faster processor and the 16MB of VRAM. I have a few questions about it though:
1) After a while, is the text hard to read on the iBook? Using the Monitor control panel on my iMac DV, I shrank the viewing area to about twelve inches, and it looks okay, though not as brilliant as I would expect the iBook's LCD to be.
2) What kind of battery life do you iBook owners get in OS 10.2? I would be using this machine primary for Web Design, and a battery life of about four hours is what I would needing
3) I have also heard about the screen fading after about a year, and the battery degrading significantly about the same time, have any of you experienced this?
4) And lastly: Would 384MB of RAM be enough, or should I max it out?

Thanks,
-Alex

you can see the computers i have below.

I have no troubles reading the screen after a long time of use, in fact i dont like going back to my crt monitors because they are kinda old and not as crisp as the display on my ibook. I dont like the look at 800x600 but it is a good thing i always have it set to 1024 then huh.

if you go with the ibook you can take advantage of quart extreme from what i understand, which is a big plus.

i have the 12" ibook but it's not that old yet. i love it. i use it 1024x768 resolution and my eyes don't hurt. When used the fixed pc monitors they did = i was often wearing sunglasses at home or at lessons! not anymore.

384 is probably enough. how big is the difference btw 384 and 640? you don't have to buy the ram from apple = there are companies selling RAM for apple for cheaper, lets say i've seen offers for 100-130 $ for the 512 MB slot for ibook.

:)

Thanks! I am going to go and take a look at one at the local Apple Store later today.
I wasn't going to get the RAM from Apple, I was considering buying a stick off eBay, would this be a bad idea?
By the way, it doesn't void the warrenty to add your own RAM, does it? I don't think it would, but my dad wants me to check anyway.

Thanks,
-Alex

adding your own ram shouldn't void the warrenty because that is a user changable part.

i had 384 in my ibook when i bought it and i did not notice any speed increases unless i was using photoshop or photodesk and that type of thing because when i use the cameras from work (18-45 mb per image) i have a tendency to open like 20 or more pictures at once. that is where the extra ram was nice.

I think i paid about 145 for my 512 stick and i have had it for a while.

Also depends on what you value and also what you want to use it for. I love my Pismo and couldn't imagine computing without it. The extra bay is great for adding an extra battery if having it unplugged is important for you (also you could pop in an extra HD, zip drive, etc.)...the screen is a great size and always looks gorgeous, and you'll have an extra Firewire port. Drawbacks...of course you'll get a faster processor, quartz extreme, and a smaller form factor with the 12 inch ibook.

I say iBook. I also had an option to get PB 400 but i decided fot iBook and im happy. Computer is much faster and smaller.

1. LCD is great on iBook. Its not too small, and you cn always zoom text if you need to. Besides, i think screen is crisper than on PB.

2. i get from 3.5h to 5h of batt. life. Some more than 5h is when i take notes in class with dark screen settings and only Word running.
3.5h is when i watch VCD.
I use it for webdesign too but mostly at home so i dont use it on batt. then. but my guess is 4h should not be a problem.

3. i only have mine for few weeks now so i wouldnt know about this.

4. i think it is enough. I have 384 and it is enough. But 640 is sure better.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
I went and looked at the iBooks at the local Apple Store on Friday night, and I ordered the top-of-the-line model Saturday afternoon. I can't wait 'till it arrives!

P.S. I maxed out the RAM.

Let me add this, be careful of the finish on it. It is such a high gloss finish that it is so easy to scratch it. That is one if the big pluses to the PBs. I used to have a PB 520 that was a nice computer for its time and the finish on it put up to way more without scratching.

Hey!!

I have had the 500MHz, 600MHz iBooks and now have the 700MHz iBook. The first one's were lame.... but my new 700MHz is a blast!! I notice only slight differences between it and my 867 Dual Power Mac - really!!!!

One thing about buying:

Buy your iBook from MacMall or Amazon or some other online store other than Apple.com because that way you DON'T HAVE TO PAY THE approx. $100 taxes!!!!! I used www.macreviewzone.com to find the best deals.... really, go to that page and click on iBook - it'll show you where to get the best deals. Like about a month ago, Amazon was giving away free Palm Zire's to anyone buying iBooks. I got mine on Amazon when they were offering the $200 Gift Certificate's to iBook buyers (got the tip from macreviewzone.com)

- pbmac

Back