New iBooks and Mac Minis Tuesday

RGrphc2

...InSaNe...
Slashdot : "CNN/Money reports: 'Apple may be gearing up to unveil a new slate of mini-Macs and may also release updated versions of its popular iBook laptop computers as early as next Tuesday, according to unconfirmed reports on a Web site that tracks Apple.' The Web site Think Secret reported three new Mac mini and two new iBook part numbers have appeared in Apple's retail database, indicating that new models are imminent. Apple would neither confirm nor deny the reports. The new mini models will be priced at $499, $599 and $699, with new iBooks priced at $999 and $1,299, according to the original story at Think Secret."

sweet, hopefully they will all get new video cards to support core-image.

what you have to remember is that regardless of whether this is true or not -

this is a story from a website, thats reporting that another website, is saying that another website, is saying that they have heard on the grapvine - that something might be about to happen...

It's about time, really. It's been half a year since the Mini was introduced. It should have been updated with the eMac, if you ask me. Hopefully this will bring it up to par. Apple should absolutely not be shipping machines that don't support Core Image and Quartz 2D Extreme.

I wonder what the third entry in the Mini lineup would be.

Well, according to widespread rumour, the high end configuration will simply have some of the add-on features included, i.e. a SuperDrive, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth. The middle config would then logically be the same processor etc. but without SuperDrive and/or AE/BT, whereas the lowest-price config would be a lower clocked processor.

(Btw.: Had to edit the thread title. Those "iBook's" and "Mini's" just didn't look right to me. ;))

The Mini, in it's current config, can't even drive a 22 inch Cinema Display without chopping while showing dashboard.

They had one set up in the Apple Store Yorkdale and I couldn't believe they'd actually have something on display that looked so bad.

I'd expect the updates to the Mac Mini will only be the processor and graphics-chipset - and *maybe* an upgrade of the hard-drive capacities. Still, it will be a welcome and much-needed update.

Mikuro said:
Apple should absolutely not be shipping machines that don't support Core Image and Quartz 2D Extreme.

I agree. I was qutie dissappointed to learn my iBook G4 1 GHz does not support Core Video. ( No Dashboard ripple effect :( :( )

I really do hope Apple updates the graphics to support Core Video on the Mini.

Honestly, the Mac Mini is SLOW. It needs more ram out of the box. No Mac should come with less than 512 on board. I am going to keep one mini around for development purposes, just need to figure out the best way. I may even end up getting a external FW drive just for it to speed things up. It might be descent. It just seems SLOWER than my 1.2GHz G4 iBook and its 1.42GHz Mac Mini. Both have 256.

Apple should absolutely not be shipping machines that don't support Core Image and Quartz 2D Extreme.

Yes I was disappointed too, that Apple released new a product which didn't even meet all the requirements for the upcomming (now released) OSX 10.4 system.

32MByte vRAM that was state of the art when? 1999 - 2000?

As I already stated, even my PC 1GHz bought 2001 + Geforce 3 secondary PC has a much better performance while displaying opengl apps - compared to the mini.

The only reason I bought the mini - run apps which require a G4 - nearly silend file server - low power consumption - browsing web sites, listening to music and recording without having fan noise in the background

Its capable to give smooth output to an apple 20'' display (although loading dashboard can take some time, even with 512MB)

edit: hopefully they fix the display problems in this update (dark/ blurry vga output, distorted DVI output on some machines)

"The only reason I bought the mini - run apps which require a G4 - nearly silend file server - low power consumption - browsing web sites, listening to music and recording without having fan noise in the background" ... - That's a lot of "only reason". ;)

"The only reason I bought the mini - run apps which require a G4 - nearly silend file server - low power consumption - browsing web sites, listening to music and recording without having fan noise in the background" ... - That's a lot of "only reason"

I just want to make clear that I knew what kind of machine I bought before I decided to hand my money over to the store clerk. :)
Although this doesn't mean I am happy with all of the specs and features. If there was an option to purchase a mini with more vRAM then I would have done it. (damn my English sucks)
This would be a better second option compared to the 200MHz CPU difference.

I personally adore the mac mini, I have a whole office that runs off mac mini's. I think that they are one of apple greatest ideas. But I have to say, I was extremely dissappointed with the powerbook G4... I personally thought it sucked. I prefer to use my old G3 Pismo. But that is just me.

Back