new iBooks

metfoo

Registered
I have been reading allot on people speculating about the next version of the iBook. Allot of people are saying it will be a G4, or have a superdrive, or things of that nature. Here are my thoughts:

G4 will NOT happen. Powerbook is a G4, and until the G5 comes out, iBook will not be a G4. Why? A low powered (mobile) version of a G5 must be in the works before apple will support 2 G4 based laptops.

A superdrive will not be in an iBook before it is intorduced to a Powerbook. Plus the Superdrive hass only shipped on 733+ MHz G4 based systems due to the sheer performance needed to encode the video.

Video card's with 32 MB RAM in powerbook and 16 MB in iBook. The PC's are there and Apple needs to stay neck and neck with them. iBook will saty ATI based due to high wattage required for GeForce chips. More Wattage = more battery drain = shorter battery life. Apple has the battery life advantage, they will not jeopardize this.

Colored iBoooks. People have been showing how easy it is to change the color all over the net. All that is required is the spraying of a color inside the case besides white. I am assuming a SE may feature this, and base models may continue to be white.

Speed increases throughout both product lines. iBook's at 750MHz and 900 Mhz. PowerBook at 800 and 1000 MHz once Powermac gets speed bump (or G5 introduction)

I believe this will happen before Macworld. Possibly at WWDC in May.

I'm almost sure that there will not be new colored iBooks. Apple's new color scheme is white for consumer machines and silver for pro.

I'd love *not* to see new colors. But G4s are a must. Even if the TiBooks only go to 933 and 1 GHz (which is quite a minimum for MWNY I think), iBooks could still use the older 550 and 667 MHz processors. It's a must, because the G3 is too long in the tooth, even if IBM brought it up to a GHz.

It is possible for Apple to upgrade the iBook from G3 processor to G4. Just ike the new iMac.

Apple would separate the Pro-line with 133MHz system bus and i-line with 100MHz system bus.

But the question is: current G4 processor is too hot to place in the iBook's case. How would the heat go in a plastic case without the help of titanium?

Personally, I'd be happy with a faster, lower power G3 from IBM in an iBook. iBooks stress portability and convenience and longer battery life over raw computing power. It would be OK if the high end iBook went with a G4 but they should keep a fast, low power G3 as an option. When the G4 chip consumes under one watt they can drop the G3.

Having a G4 in an iBook in it's current state with the amount of heat G4's use just isn't happening. They get hot enough when running G3's, there's no way it'll run with a G4. The TiBooks can barely handle the heat of a G4. Try putting this thing on your lap for 10 minutes and you'll see what I mean.

Not until Apple/Motorola/IBM get a lower-powered G4 will we see this happening...

Originally posted by dricci
I'm pretty sure iBooks don't use AMD Processors ;)

You caught my typo. It was meant to be ATI. I was talking about videochipsets. Its all fixed now.

Originally posted by metfoo
I have been reading allot on people speculating about the next version of the iBook. Allot of people are saying it will be a G4, or have a superdrive, or things of that nature...

I hate to be a stickler for grammar, but "allot" is not appropriate in the above sentences. Think of it this way guys: when you use correct spelling and grammar, you're actually helping out those of us who are still learning the English language. Please, don't confuse us!!!

--JBytes

Originally posted by fryke
I'd love *not* to see new colors. But G4s are a must. Even if the TiBooks only go to 933 and 1 GHz (which is quite a minimum for MWNY I think), iBooks could still use the older 550 and 667 MHz processors. It's a must, because the G3 is too long in the tooth, even if IBM brought it up to a GHz.

IBM released 1 GHz G3s aout half a year ago, actually :)
I'm pretty sure the next iBooks will have G4 processors, at least in the high end iBooks, and maybe keep the "cheapest" iBook with a G3 to keep the price down.

Heat shouldn't be any problem. I checked the temp on my fathers iBook/500, 30°C. That's nothing. The first generation iMacs could reach 50-55°C. As long as they keep the max. effect (watts) down, the temperature will keep low, too.

I'm also hoping that Apple will stop manufacturing iBooks in titanium. They cause AirPort to get really bad reception.
-Doofy

Originally posted by doofy10
I'm also hoping that Apple will stop manufacturing iBooks in titanium. They cause AirPort to get really bad reception.
-Doofy

I think you meant TiBook or PowerBook G4s. iBooks are encased in high impact plastic, and its reception to AirPort is quite excellent.

-B

Yes, my Titanium iBook keeps burning my legs! I know it's not a "LapTop" but come on Apple, these 1Ghz G3's shouldn't be getting this hot through the Titanium. (I usually use mine on the bus, so I can't comment about the airport issues).

Actually, I haven't had any problems with wireless reception on my TiBook of a linksys wireless router. In fact, one of my housemates gets awful reception on his brand-new Fujitsu Lifebook, which also supposedly has an integrated antenna. I get 100% signal around the house, but his signal is always degraded very badly.

So in my experience, Titanium has been good so far, and plus, it gives the pro-line notebook that much cachet.

As for future iBook, I think it's important that Apple preserve the small form factor and enhanced portability of the 12" model. The 14" model is an ungainly overgrown step-child. I'd like to see Apple move the iBook to a G4 also, but low heat, fanless operation, and better battery life should be more of a priority on the iBook than the TiBook.

Back