New Idea

twister

Howdy
I was talking with a friend and he has a great idea of something apple was working on. Its basically a network that each computer just logs into the server (running X). That way only the server would have all the software and the OS on it. Other computers would just need to log in then work from their stations. This would work with any comptuer. PC or MAC. My friend did a much better explanation that i did but you get the idea. If this were true then companies would just need a server and a tech to work on it. Each computer that logs into the server wouldnt need an OS or its own programs. Everything would be stored on the server. A much simpler way of life for office buildings.

Twister

(hope you understood all that)

Originally posted by twister
I was talking with a friend and he has a great idea of something apple was working on. Its basically a network that each computer just logs into the server (running X). That way only the server would have all the software and the OS on it. Other computers would just need to log in then work from their stations. This would work with any comptuer. PC or MAC. My friend did a much better explanation that i did but you get the idea. If this were true then companies would just need a server and a tech to work on it. Each computer that logs into the server wouldnt need an OS or its own programs. Everything would be stored on the server. A much simpler way of life for office buildings.

Twister

This is a good idea if the OS is not on a local server, but at www.apple.com. And all software can be rent from your terminal... so that 1) Apple controls your system, 2) they make money for each minute you use software, 3) you never have to spend $1000 to get your software.

But this means a very fast server, and very fast low cost communication lines, worldwide.

Thin clients are neat.

I really don't see Apple doing anything with them though being Sun already has a tight grip on that market and that market really isn't directed towards consumers.

Originally posted by allengoodman
Thin clients are neat.

I really don't see Apple doing anything with them though being Sun already has a tight grip on that market and that market really isn't directed towards consumers.

I agree with you on a technical point of view. And nobody wants the old Big Brother "a la VMS" to come back: the personal computer is freedom.

Who knows what emerged in Apple's mind ?

BTW the most widely used Terminal-Server system now is most often based on ARM7 processors. Nobody think it is a computer, but technically it is one. It is called a cellular phone.

Twister

Um, hehe, Apple already has implemented this idea. :D

It's called "NetBoot", and it's built-in to AppleShare IP and Mac OS X Server. Currently, the technology only supports Macs, but Apple demoed this at various keynotes, specifically the one where Apple brought out 50 iMacs, and showed them all playing a different QuickTime movie trailer while they were all Netbooting. All of the iMacs had their hard drive taken out of them.

Twister

http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/ :D

Back