New iMac G5 arrived with Tiger.....

MattPage

Registered
Hi all,

We have a Windows SBS 2003 network with various iMacs running Panther (and Admitmac). It all works soo well, perfect.

Ordered a new iMac G5 20" and it arrived with Tiger installed. Attempted to install AdmitMac and it failed. So I tried the built in networking and ended up with 100s of resource fork files all over the server (._ files). Looks like it is still seriously broken.

So, I installed an extra copy of Panther (just drop Tiger in the bin). After installing the fan was constantly at top speed, never shut down or restarted properly and the screen was stuck at 800x600 in a little box in the middle of the screen. Anyway, Apple support told me that the new iMac G5 was incompatible with Panther, new firmware updates will prevent Panther from working; and they refuse to ship an iMac with Panther.

So the question is, how can I get Panther installed onto a brand new iMac G5 delivered with Tiger pre-installed.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Matt

ps... I hate the way Apple now direct everything towards home users, iPod, iMovie, iThis, iThat, iBugs etc..... We use Macs in a business environment and there is no I in Team :p

Just saw this on thursby.com's site: "Our target dates for FCS of ADmitMac v3.0 is August 8" ... That was the page about Tiger compatibility. I guess that isn't really a solution, then. On the other hand, I really find it hard to believe that working "closely with Apple" didn't result in an earlier solution.

To install Panther, you can try to use a FW drive. Install Panther onto a FW drive on a very similar machine (another G5 iMac, possibly). Then hook it up to the new one and boot from it. If that works okay, you can clone the drive to the internal one.

But! It _could_ be that part of the new iMac's hardware really isn't Panther compatible and that Apple won't release an update to Panther that solves this. So the aim should still be to use AdmitMac 3 once it comes out and Tiger on that iMac.

AdmitMac have said the next release will be in August and will work with Tiger. But that is a long time to wait, especially when we have a new designer sitting here twiddling their thumbs.....

Thanks Fyrke, will look into the second FW hard drive idea. But we dont have that sort of kit lying around.

Just spent another 2 hours on the phone to Apple and the final answer was use Tiger or send it back and don't use a Mac. Try buying an old one from a local store.. :mad:

However someone did suggest I install Panther and then upgrade beyond 10.3.8 , new drivers were included for the new iMacs.

If it doesnt work at least I have a nice looking leaf blower...

FYI:

Managed to force Panther to install and did all the updates. This fixed the screen size problem and few others. But Panther doesn't have the correct fan drivers soo the fans just spin up at full speed.

Health and Safety guy said the noise level was far too high to operate in an office environment.

Kind of stuffed then.... thanks Apple.

To be in compliance with Apple's user agreement, I think you will have to buy Panther.

Edit: Maybe you have a purchased copy of Panther for your Mini.

MattPage said:
Ordered a new iMac G5 20" and it arrived with Tiger installed. Attempted to install AdmitMac and it failed. So I tried the built in networking and ended up with 100s of resource fork files all over the server (._ files). Looks like it is still seriously broken.

Some people consider this bad, some (such as Apple) consider this good. Apple apparently values keeping forks intact (even if they are empty) over being a good network citizen. So I wouldn't expect Apple to ever change this, unfortunately. They abstract network drives in the same way as local drives, so they probably see it as extra un-needed work to be nice on network drives alone.

From reading the rest of the thread, sounds like you are stuck... one thing that you /could/ try is take the fan drivers from Tiger and install it into Panther. However, this may or may not work, for various reasons.

Back