New iMac G5 but sluggish

aghoo

Registered
I just bought the new iMac G5, and have transfered the data and info from the old iMac. However, I am experiencing general sluggishness (i.e., wheel keeps turning when opening up applications, stickiness when opening new web pages, delayed response to single clicks or double clicks). Can anyone tell me what I should do to make it faster? I think it may have something to do with the files I transfered from the old iMac, but I just don't know how to clean it up without messing around with the applicaitons preference files.

Thanks.
Steve

In my experience, for a new computer it is best to install everything anew. Then transfer over only your data files.

aghoo said:
I just bought the new iMac G5, and have transfered the data and info from the old iMac. However, I am experiencing general sluggishness (i.e., wheel keeps turning when opening up applications, stickiness when opening new web pages, delayed response to single clicks or double clicks). Can anyone tell me what I should do to make it faster? I think it may have something to do with the files I transfered from the old iMac, but I just don't know how to clean it up without messing around with the applicaitons preference files.

Thanks.
Steve

Try downloading and running my application, Mac HelpMate, to see if there's anything out of the ordinary.

I would do the following:

1. repair permissions
2. clean user caches
3. clean caches
4. validate preference files

If any of the preference files come up as corrupt, toss 'em.

Back