New iMac G5's Coming (Apple Store Sign?)

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
Okay... Apple has dropped the price of Refurbed iMac G5's... they have lowered them down $50 for 1.8 17" and dropped the 20" down $100. I don't know when this changed, but it was $1299 and $1699 respectfully a week or two ago. They are now $1249 & $1599.

Hmmmmm... could Tuesday be our day? :)

I hope so! I've been waiting to buy an iMac for months! just waiting for the revision II to come out! Come on apple!

Needed this update, since the iMacs still come with the old Superdrives.

Hopefully we'll see them with the rumoured 2 button mouse as well (and a 23" version :) ).

Kap

What can we expect? If the PowerMacs will really finally move to the 3 GHz realm (and also bring along dualcore processors, essentially bringing the PMs to four cores), this paves the way for 2 and 2.5 GHz iMacs. But I wouldn't see that happening _before_ the PowerMacs are updated, right?

fryke said:
What can we expect? If the PowerMacs will really finally move to the 3 GHz realm (and also bring along dualcore processors, essentially bringing the PMs to four cores), this paves the way for 2 and 2.5 GHz iMacs. But I wouldn't see that happening _before_ the PowerMacs are updated, right?
I don't see why not (assuming you meant single processor 2 and 2.5 GHz iMacs). A four core processor PowerMac announcement is something that I'd expect to see in a WWDC, while a processor bump + DVD drive upgrade for the iMacs would be a (welcome) non-event.

Now a 23" iMac on the other hand... ;)

Kap

Well my iMac G5 17" (that hopefully will ship tomorrow like the store said) cost brandnew € 1,599 with the things that come standard. That's fairly ok I have to say.

But a 23" iMac? Hmm... I'd buy one!! :D

HomunQlus said:
Well my iMac G5 17" (that hopefully will ship tomorrow like the store said) cost brandnew € 1,599 with the things that come standard. That's fairly ok I have to say.

But a 23" iMac? Hmm... I'd buy one!! :D
Eh? There is a 20" model if you like... It's quite nice.

My personal opinion - the iMac G5 is better looking than the current cinema display, maybe not quite as good looking as the old ones (I own both, so I tend to stare at them a lot =)

Ripcord said:
My personal opinion - the iMac G5 is better looking than the current cinema display, maybe not quite as good looking as the old ones (I own both, so I tend to stare at them a lot =)
Heh... I have almost the same exact situation as you, but I prefer to look at the Cinema Display.

At first I wasn't sure about all that white space on the current iMac G5; but now, I like the museum-like quality of the thing, quite elegant. So, for me, a 23" HD iMac G5 with a FAST graphics card and a fast superdrive would be the sweet spot dream machine.

Translated: I'd buy it immediately.

Hope the rumor is true, true, true. Anybody have a guess when we'll know?

The rumor may be true... but at what price ?

I would tend to a simple speed bump of the iMac... taking the place left by the new dual 970MP based PM !

I wouldn't be surprised to see an update, but I would be surprised if it were anything really big. I'd expect a faster processor, faster superdrive, and...that's about it. A bigger monitor is a possibility, but...yowch, I'd hate to see the price tag on such a beast.

If they do update the iMacs, I'd take that as virtual confirmation that 3GHz G5s are slated for WWDC. But AFAIK the dual-core G5s are still a ways off, so I'm not getting too excited.

Back