New iMac - In Person...

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
I finally got a up close and personal meeting with the new iMac this weekend at CompUSA (of all places). All I can say is - WOW.

This is the first consumer Mac that I would acutally consider getting just for the cool factor. Apple really paid attention to details in the design. The thing is beautiful. And it's fast too.

One of the things that really made me smile was the keyboard. One of my main complains with the current (black) pro keyboards is they don't have any resistnace to the keys, and feel mushy. The new (white) iMac keyboard finally has a tactile resistant feel to it. I really hope they apply this modification to the black keyboards soon.

I also hope in the future, that Apple will make a black version of the iMac. All of my current hardware is either silver or black. I also have a black Viewsonic LCD on my desk, and would love a black iMac to augment it.

I've had one for a few weeks now.
It still puts a smile on my face for the simplest of things....even down to shifting the position of the screen.

I have to agree about the keyboard. much improved on the old one.
I still dont like Apple mice (using a Logitech Trackball at the mo). How hard would it be for Apple to develop their own trackball?
A little over-priced (£1,599)...but ultimately worth it.

Finally got my new Imac on Saturday. Best purchase I've ever made. Every detail on the machine is fantastic (including the little grey cloth they give you to clean it) :D

It's super quick as well (well compared to my little Bondai imac running OSX - chug chug whirr whirr)

Finally I have a machine where I can realy appreciate OSX - it realy is a great OS, but you do have to have a fairly beefy machine to realy apreciate it.

Apple Pro speakers are great too!

Very very happy apple customer :D

I also agree about the keyboard, that's why I got a White Pro Keyboard after Apple released them seperately to replace my Black keyboard.

It's just too damn sexy you have to have one.

Even my girlfriend loves it (she stormed out of the shop when she saw the price!) :D

However once it was out of the box - with new computer smell........

No but seriously - it's much better than I thought it would be - It even comes with a load of free MP3's (some a bit ropey - but it's the thought that counts.)

:D

Just can't stop smiling!

The pre-loaded MP3s are pretty poor (but a nice touch from Apple)...

...much better now I have dumped an additional 5gigs of music on there.

iTunes. gotta love it.

A strange note about the MP3's in iTunes...

My iBook (bought last fall) came with 121 preloaded titles (not all of which are music). My new iMac only came preloaded with less than 20 music titles:confused: .

True, it's easy enough to load the other titles up to the iMac, but not if I'd bought that machine first.

Hey,
I'm ordering my new imac this week! (The 700 w. CD-RW) Apple's site says the wait will be 5-7 weeks if I order now. Does anyone have any idea of how long it will really be (shorter, longer?) the shipping dates seem to change constantly. I want to order my iMac this week but dont want to wait 2 months for it....

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
... and would love a black iMac to augment it.

You spent enough on the iMac, you can afford a bit of paint and a couple of brushes.

Originally posted by stephanec
Does anyone have any idea of how long it will really be (shorter, longer?)
I had to wait for 2 weeks longer than Apple said it would take.

Originally posted by scruffy

You spent enough on the iMac, you can afford a bit of paint and a couple of brushes.
lol, I can just imagine the reaction of the customer support staff when you phone to complain that your Mac is broken due to oveheating.
"Have you made any modifications that could have voided your warranty?"
"um......."
"Anything at all? Dropped it...Power surge....cleaned the screen with solvents. That sort of thing."
"well, I coated it with a couple of layers of House Paint."
"..............."

Back