New iMac

Sweet! Any problems so far (like dead pixels?)

Has your dad been a Mac user before? I'm trying to convince my dad to buy a new iMac to get rid of his eMachine but he doesn't seem to get the whole concept of the digital hub and how it can make his life easier. He likes how it looks, but he just doesn't understand the advantages of a Mac and how it's more than just an expensive computer.

My old man got the same model, and after 2 days I spottet a dead pixel, but it dosen't bother me any more. Yay, I can finally play games:D

I'm upset. My new iMac has a dead pixel :( A horrible red torch shining at me all day.

Although, I can't see it most of the time, and when that area is black, it pretty mch disappears (thank god!)

And red IS a cool colour ;)

I have one dead pixel... its black, but its not bothering me because I don't even notice it that much anymore. Did when I first got the iMac, but since then I don't even see it really.

I think it kinda sucks that you can't get a flat-panel display replaced if it has some dead pixels. I heard somewhere that if it has under 10 dead pixels, you can't get it replaced.

I know this isn't Apple's fault but the flat-panel display manufacturers' fault, but it still sucks. :(

Originally posted by Hypernate
I'm upset. My new iMac has a dead pixel :( A horrible red torch shining at me all day.

Cool, there are different types of dead pixels...
I have a pixel that can display white, but if any other color(especially black) and it'll turn blue.

Red dead pixels are just dead. If you have green or blue ones, sometimes they go away and come back, I guess it depends on their mood...
I was happy that my TiBook had no dead pixels. I was quite surprised actually. My old WallStreet had a dead red pixel smack in the middle of the screen. It was horrible :(

Everyone is getting an iMac :D

My old Blueberry iBook had a red dead pixel that would go away if you tapped on the side. So, "If it's red, it don't mean it's dead!"

Some pixels are just 'stuck' pixels. I have one that beleive is just stuck near the bottom coner or my ibook. I think its stuck because it displays some colours but not others. Anways it doesn't bother me to much.

I want an imac! I drove downtown yesterday and saw 3 huge imac ads on 3 sides of a big building. If I was driving I would have stopped paying attention and crashed :)

Originally posted by googolplex
I want an imac! I drove downtown yesterday and saw 3 huge imac ads on 3 sides of a big building. If I was driving I would have stopped paying attention and crashed :)

Driving under the influence (of big shiny iMacs)? :)

ksuther:

I LOOOVE your avatar. (I work with rats, but not the radioactive green kind. . . . cute white ones)

I got my iMac CDRW a couple of weeks ago and I also found a dead pixel. It's a red one right in the middle of the display. At first I was really upset about this, but now I hardly notice it. It's a pain though cause it's only if the background is black that i can see it, I can never see it in other colors.

Btw...I looove my new iMac.:D

I have just one stuck pixel on my new flat panel iMac, about four inches from the top of the screen and 2 inches from the middle. (so, its just up, and to the left of center...i dont think i made it clear)

its white, so shows up pretty much all the time, but I hardly notice it now.

When I first spotted it (just after installing all the software) I phoned Apple UK and was told that "Apple will not fix or replace screens unless they have a minimum of 6 stuck or dead pixels."

Oh well, one pixel is a very small price to pay....

Wow, I thought my post would go dead in a couple hours but between visits it has 17 posts. His computer has no dead pixels as far as I can remember. I didn't think to check for that but there wasn't any blinding mistakes. And yeah, he has been a Mac guy for a long time. He has helped me with a lot of mac problems and now I'm getting to return the favor. He has to use a unix machine at his work but he is finding other mac people who all want to petition ITS to let them bring in their computers.

Oh and one thing that my mom and I think is hilarious is the name he gave the hard drive.

Any guesses?

You are absolutely correct! The hard drive is named "Mistress".

Back