New iMacs?

zippygaloo

Registered
I'm debating whether or not to buy an imac right now because I've heard that Apple may be releasing a new imac very soon. Within a few weeks perhaps. Is this true? If it is true, what are we to expect with these new imacs? Totally new designs? Just speed bumps? Can someone shed some light on this and/or give me some advice as to whether I should buy right now or not?

Thanks

If they were going to launch any significantly different iMacs they would have done it at MacWorld SF.
We are expecting Airport Extreme capable Powermacs soon (either that or AirPort Extreme card released for existing PowerMacs), and the iMac will probably get its update sometime after that. Even then, it would most likely be only a speed-and-specs bump, along with Compact-PCI for Airport Extreme. It is extremely unlikely we will see the iMac totally redesigned.
So, if you want to wait around for a few months, suit yourself. On the other hand, if the iMac does everything you want it to do, go ahead.
If you aren't too sure what your future holds then the PowerMacs are more easily upgraded with new equipment and video hardware.

The only other concerns I have are possible drops in price and how significant they may be; whether or not to buy a 15" version if the 17" will fall in price soon; and whether or not to get one with a superdrive because I'm unsure if there is an exterior one available that is compatible.

Any suggestions on these issues of mine?

Look at when the last iMac upgrade happened. (MWNY, July 2002.) Look at when the iMac last got a new processor. (MWSF, January 2002, that's more than a year ago.) Then think again of whether Apple is about to release a new iMac soon. There's two possible answers.

1.) Statistically, the iMac has seen processor upgrades zero times over the past 12 months, so you could extrapolate that view to the coming year and say that Apple won't release any new iMacs. I guess that would seem kinda wrong.

2.) Yes, the iMacs are a bit long in the tooth. Yes, they're about to be upgraded.

Its very difficult to predict possible price drops, except to say that they are more or less inevitable and prices will go down in line with what the market will bear. I'd recommend you just get the system you want or need at the price you are willing to pay.

As for external DVD-writers, there are a few available from reputable brands, but my understanding is that while Mac OS X and Toast support writing to these, certain apps such as iDVD will only support the Apple drive. So if you did get an add-on drive, you might not be able to use it with iDVD.

check out looprumors.com, it seems to be a fairly accurate 'rumors' site. They ran a story the other day on new iMacs coming soon with upgrades across the board, but didnt have any pricing ideas.

The whole superdrive vs OEM drive reminds me of the mac clone days. with each OS upgrade, my powerbase was either broken in some capacity or disabled completely, until someone wrote a nifty extension or found a way to bypass the problem. the machine was only supported to 8.0, but i was able to run everything up until X, where I quit and got a g4.
My point, if I can get to it here, is that the dvd situation isn't as rosey, and buying a 3rd party dvd burner is dangerous if you expect to use apple software with it.

I wish they'd update the 15" PowerBooks first so I could sell this iMac before it becomes worth a lot less than it is now. Then they can update the iMacs however they wish.

Back