New Intel iBooks at Macworld??

nice images, but I have a couple of problems with them:

1. If they do stick an Intel sticker on them I will personally break Steve Job's legs.

2. An external optical drive? I highly doubt it. and wtf are those connections on the side beside the firewire/usb ports? makes it look like a white IBM Thinkpad with those eyesores! :/

I do think that the next generation of iBooks will go widescreen. I think Apple is going to make it standard from now on.

Applele has some cool designs. Some of their suggested iPod Phone designs are cool (some not so cool!).

All in all, though, the design is very similar to the one existing. Surely when apple do release the new iBooks they will re-do the designs. They're about due for it. personally I believe the new iBooks will feature an 5G iPod-like design, with that clear-plastic-over-opaque-white-plastic thing they got goin' on.

that picture is very old. look at the ipod sat next to it. he's just grafted an intel sticker on it.

if my experience with the mock-up sites tells me right, then the ibook will look nothing like this, and will look a LOT better!

Still: I'd LOVE such an iBook mini or nano. I've written this about it: http://haligon.blogspot.com/2006/01/ibook-nano-wish.html ... It's a wish I have for a long time. I'm going to spend the rest of the weekend on some mountain here in Switzerland with a few poets. There's no way I'm going to lug my 15" PowerBook there, so I'm taking my (very) old Sony Vaio Picturebook (10" widescreen) with me. There'll be power outlets, otherwise I couldn't use that. But it's a LOT less baggage to take with. Apple: Cater to us writers! (I know, the 12" iBook/PowerBook would already serve that need, but I want smaller, smaller, smaller here...)

48gb of NAND flash memory. how much would that cost? it is a very nice idea though. a moving parts-less computer. an industry first. it would bne expensive, but would be a must have thing.

I have no idea, really. But I think that at the moment, NAND is quite new. Apple has pushed Samsung and others to produce more, paying them less, which'll of course bring production prices down if Apple (and others) sell more. I think it's doable. Maybe not right now, but they _are_ talking about 8 and 16 GB chips...

Hmmm....even if an Intel-based Apple notebook came out, wouldn't ALL the software have to be recompiled for the new processor?
Yeah, I don't think I'll be buying any Apple Intel-based computers in the first round of sales until almost everything has been ported over natively.

This discussion has been covered since last WWDC in June. Basically: You'll get Mac OS X recompiled. Probably iLife and iWork compiled as a Universal Binary, too. Software that isn't updated with Universal Binaries will run in Rosetta Emulation, which is said to be quite good (i.e. useable). In short time, we'll see more and more software recompiled as Universal Binaries.

Back