new iPod on-the-go playlists are USELESS!!!

Dime5150 said it. It's an "on-the-go-playlist", not a "mark-songs-to-delete-them-later-anythingie". That the new feature doesn't fit a (completely different) purpose you want it to fit is sad, but it's not something to rave about this madly, I think...

Originally posted by dave17lax
I don't see how this could be done effectively. First off, the software that runs the smart playlists is built into itunes, not the ipod software. The smart playlists get shuffled to the ipod and the ipod doesn't know the difference. The ipod does have this on the go stuff, but that's only one slot that is set aside for that type of thing. plus if the ipod could update the list itself, then you would run into the problem of having multiple copies of these differing playlists.

I don't really understand your points sorry. Maybe you don't understand what I want it to be able to do.

Basically I have a live-updating smart-playlist called 'never played' which lists all songs that have never been played. If play this via iTunes songs dissapear from the list once they have been played (as I would expect). However, on the iPod, they stay in the list after they've been played, until I sync with iTunes.

I then have another list called 'most played' which lists the 100 most played songs. Again, this list in not updated until I sync with iTunes.

This is annoying when I'm on holiday or something (and so away from my computer) as the list does not update until I return and re-sync.

I don't see how you'd end up with multiple versions of playlists if the iPod did live-updating itself. Either a song fits the criteria to be included in the smart playlist or it doesn't fit the criteria - simple as that. Why can't the iPod re-asess the songs to see if they fit the criteria as it goes along - it wouldn't be that much of an overhead would it?

They might do that one, at least. Currently, the iPod doesn't have smart playlists - it only copies the smart playlists from iTunes as regular playlists. That's why they never update.

I think it would be cool if the iPod would implement smart playlists as well.

Back