New Keyboard And Mouse On G5

Apple definately needs to forget about their patented one-button mouse. I've heard about too many PC users who think Macs only use one button, and don't like it. It's like a revelation to them when I tell them that OS X supports 2 button mice natively.

To those who advocate a one button mouse for simplicity... hey, one more mouse button isn't that much more complex!

I'm pretty sure that Logitech made the original USB puck mice (or was it the keyboards) , I'd be surprised if apple don't use them or another peripheral company to manufacture the more recent keyboards and mice. I moved to a Logitech optical mouse recently and it has made a big difference, especially in OSX. I think that even if Apple don't drop the single button optical mouse they should at least team up with Logitech, Kensington or whoever and supply different options when ordering. Or just get them to manufacture a new 2 button/scrollwheel Apple branded mouse. If they really want to keep one button fair enough, but letting users, especially new users and switchers know about the alternatives would be benificial.

Btw MDLarsson, I'm curious about your signature, why does evolutionism degrade me? I don't mind being evolved from a monkey, I like monkeys :)

I am 99% sure the Pro Keyboard is made by Mitsumi. I think the stupid iMac one before that was made by another company.

the "stupid iMac one" was also used on the B & W G3..., and was replaced with the Pro Keyboard on the PowerMac Quicksilver (I believe) and the Indigo iMacs.

I've got one too with my G4 sawtooth. It sucks :) The pro came in with the Cube as far as I can remember, also the optical mouse. The old mice were heinous!

Geez, don't get me started on those puck (sure I misspelt that ;)) mice! Hate them hate them hate them!! They would rotate in your hand the more you used them (longer than a minute!!)

I remember someone actually came out with an oval-shaped holder that you would insert the puck mouse into. Whenever I would use a puck mouse I would never have it pointed correctly. :mad:

lol. Am I the only one who did not get disoriented with the puck mouse? The later ones have indentations in the button, so you always know where the button is by feel.

In regards to MDLarson's "Evolutionism degrades you"...

Ferris Beuler: "To quote the great John Lennon, "A person should not believe in an 'ism,' he should believe in himself. Wise words. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus, it still wouldn't change the fact that I have to bum rides to school."

adam, I also liked the hockey puck mice...they were good to use if you used them the right way (and didn't cover it with your hand...)

it was always better to use than my Pismo's trackpad while playing unreal tournament. but now i got my micro$oft wheel mouse optical, and it works beautifully.

My iMac has gone through three different mice since I got it. It came with the default hockey puck rat, which I found abhorrent but usable. Then, my dad got me a Pro optical mouse, but I wanted one with more buttons, so I got a Starlogic 8D mouse with a trackball for a wheel.

The iMac still has the default keyboard, though. It's missing the End, (forward) Delete, and F13-F15 keys, though it still has that f*cking, annoying as hell help key. FYI, with special regards to Chem Geek, it has all the buttons he listed except Delete.

I finished the JUne issue of Macworld recently (yes, I do get behind on these magazines), and I found the opinion in the back by Matt Deatherage quite interesting. He said that Apple made a lot of the changes to the OS, like putting in certain features and taking out others, because the Next people wanted OS X to be just like Next. Apple may be taking the same stance with the mouse, this is how they do it and that's that, which is really stupid. Send your opinions to Apple, and maybe we can get them to change something.

Originally posted by voice-
Ugh, why don't they just change the 1-button mouse already!?!

Actually, I *like* the one-button mouse. I have an MS Trackball Explorer both at work and at home. The Apple Pro Mouse that came with my eMac is WAY more precise and smooth than the Trackball Explorer.

I'm supposed to be using trackballs as I developed symptoms of CTS last year, but I use the Pro mouse at home instead.

Tim.

Go to the store and buy a Logitech 500MX (or other MS or Logitech optical corded mouse), go home, plug it in and use it for a week. Then tell me you prefer the Apple Pro mouse...

Originally posted by voice-
Go to the store and buy a Logitech 500MX (or other MS or Logitech optical corded mouse), go home, plug it in and use it for a week. Then tell me you prefer the Apple Pro mouse...

Oh, sure, there's probably better mice/trackballs out there, I'm not arguing that. But for a "stock" mouse, it is really nice and is way better than the MS Trackball Explorer.

Tim.

I really do like the whole mouse being 1 big button concept. but on the other hand multi-button mouce is quite useful.

when I first got this apple pro mouse I thought the 2 things on the side are reallt buttons (pro mouse users prolly know what I'm talkin bout) you think apple could make these two into buttons?
now that would be really perfect and really apple ;)

Those two things on the side can't be buttons.... those are needed for support, so when you're picking the mouse up off of the desk while you holding down the mouse button to drag something, you have something besides the "button" to hold on to.

Apple engineers think of everything. :D

Yeah, everything except adding more buttons!

As a mouse, the Apple Pro is a fine, quality mouse. But compared to other mice, it can't stack up for professional use. It's only got 1 button, and I think it's heavier than my Starlogic mouse.

I just hope they don't do something insanely stupid like build a "brushed metal" mouse and keyboard... I'll be seriously considering jumping the Mac ship the day that the Mac world goes completely grey. Lately it's been like they're trying to bring "bland" back into style...

So last night I'm watching TV and a Gateway commercial comes on. I think to myself, "you know, Apple needs to get their commercials on again."

Sure 'nuff, about 15 minutes goes by, and here's this commercial from Apple advertising the G5. I tried to look as close as I could because of this thread, and it looks like the G5 in the commercial has the same keyboard my eMac does.

*shrug*

Tim.

Back