New M1 Mini connecting to older MacPro to access HD's

rickself

Registered
Hey all - I am setting up to buy a new Mac Mini with the M1. All of my work is on my MacPro with 3 internal drives.
Will there be an issue connecting the Mini to the MacPro so that I can use the files on those drives? I'll probably need some type of switch or hub between the 2?
Thanks for the help!

rickself

Registered
Thanks for the reply, I guess what I’m really asking is will there be any issues connecting the new Mini to the older MacPro via Ethernet? Can I direct connect the 2 or does it have to go through a hub?

DeltaMac

Tech
If you will be using ethernet for your internet connection on both Macs, then you already have a hub. Both would be connected to the same network - so file sharing should be OK.

rickself

Registered
If you will be using ethernet for your internet connection on both Macs, then you already have a hub. Both would be connected to the same network - so file sharing should be OK.
Okay. Say I wasn’t going to use the macpro other than as, basically a file server. It’s a ten year old MacPro on El Capitan.

DeltaMac

Tech
Sure... Would that make a difference to you? Try it out, see that it works for what you need. You would be able to easily upgrade the system, if you need to do that.