New Mac Book

hawki18

Registered
So what does everyone thing of the new details of the up coming Books. Silver and Black will this be Mac Books or the new MBP line. Thinner that the present MBP line. Just wondering what others were thinking about the upcoming line

I need a thin Book. With a reasonable graphic card (no need for a gaming stuff: I have my iMac for that). And a laaarge HD. And HD-DVD or BlueRay reader.

A 10-12" widescreen MacBook Thin without optical drive that'd _actually_ be light for a change (all Apple's notebooks are too heavy, even the 12" PB and iBook was) would be a Steve-send for me. Sadly, I simply don't think Apple will do that. They want to give us something that is _almost_ a subnotebook that innovatively still contains an optical drive or something like that, I fear.

If they do release a sub-notebook that has no optical drive, then I for one will be impressed. In this day and age, a thinner notebook, with a USB optical drive tucked safely away in your bag, would be a far more sensible option all around for most users.

So you're still waiting for a subnotebook from Apple?
A 14" iBook was "heavy". Not a 12" iBook!
Compared to other 12" notebooks of the time, it was _brutally_ heavy, actually. And yes, I'm still waiting. All of Apple's current notebooks are _slim_, but not really featherweights. I'm continuing to voice my concern about this is all. :)

If they do release a sub-notebook that has no optical drive, then I for one will be impressed. In this day and age, a thinner notebook, with a USB optical drive tucked safely away in your bag, would be a far more sensible option all around for most users.

I'd have to agree with this. 99% of the time, I really don't use the optical drive of my MacBook until I get home. I'd be all for losing the optical drive in return for less weight / a real graphics card.

Another salient option for me would be a slim MacBook Pro. That'd be cool...

I rather fear they will try to go thin _without_ losing the optical drive. They'll claim they made it "incredibly thin, thinner than most comparable notebooks _without_ an optical drive in fact... see (slide showing some Toshiba), see (slide showing something else, Sharp or Sony), boom! (going back to the MacBook thin)..."

Any idea of when this might be announced? Will they just call a random news conference, or at a expo, ect?

Any chance they would do it with the release of Leopard? Before, after? What’s everyone’s thoughts, along with educated guesses (haha and please feel free to state which one you are making)

EDIT: Reason for my interest: I just recently had to sell my macbook to get some cash, and would love to see myself being able to afford one in the near future (in lou of the aggressively pricing). Right now (please dont cring too bad), I'm left using windows on school computers. On a side note, I have found my productivity shoot through the roof! Whats this you say? Windows is better? When it comes to writting papers, ect, yes... as I hate being on it so much (mostly due to the UI) that it forces me to do what I need to do as quick as possible and get off! Sigh. :|

@irfaan
we can only speculate of course. It has been 134 days since the last major update, so it would seem unlikely they will announce anything soon. My guess is the next update will be MacWorld, but with the Xmas season coming up, and the MacBooks looking out of place with the rest of the line, anything can happen. If they do update it, I'm sure it will be largely just a cosmetic thing, and not a complete overhaul such as Gizmodo's MacBook touch mockups.

I used to think I would always need an optical drive. Occasionally I still do, but I do like the concept of having it separate for just when I need it. Whatever Apple does, I hope they do it soon as I'm probably buying a new MacBook in November to replace my 4 year old iBook.

Back