chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
A French customer ordered a mini, and here is the status of his order:

MACMINI 1.42GHZ/512/80G/CMD/F
Est. Build On or before 11/07/2005
Replaced with new product

i know the mac mini was supposed to be the first to switch to intel, but i thought that was happening next year not so soon...

I seriously doubt that it's a intel mini. Apple has said that the first Intel machines will not appear for almost 2 years.

Besides, the chances are, its just for a new rev of the mini, maybe with more ram or similar. That's all.

Captain Code said:
Intel Macs will be in June 2006 and not before says Steve Jobs.
That's not true, they will be on the market by June 2006, unless he has said something in addition to the WWDC speech, AFAIK there is no word on the release date which could be at anytime upto and including June 2006.

But I think it's premature to assume that Apple are going to release an Intel mini right now though.

it's just too soon - devs have only just got hold of the tool to convert their apps to intel - ie - there's nothing that can run natively, so, no software = unmarketable computer.

(iLife doesen't count. obviously that works)

fjdouse said:
That's not true, they will be on the market by June 2006, unless he has said something in addition to the WWDC speech, AFAIK there is no word on the release date which could be at anytime upto and including June 2006.

But I think it's premature to assume that Apple are going to release an Intel mini right now though.

Erm, well I don't see how them not being out before June 2006 and not being on the market until then is any different.

i heard apple was trying to get 2GB 2700 Ram sticks to work with the mini. maybe an update? faster dvd-burner / vid card to support core-video etc / faster G4's (up to 1.67 like th powerbooks) and up to 2GB of ram for / bluetooth & airport intergrated???

i'll take one :D

Robn Kester said:
I seriously doubt that it's a intel mini. Apple has said that the first Intel machines will not appear for almost 2 years.

Besides, the chances are, its just for a new rev of the mini, maybe with more ram or similar. That's all.

The first Intel CPU-based Macs will appear within one year--at next year's WWDC--at least that's what Steve promised.

My money is on the consumer line-up.

As for in which the order, I really have no idea.

Yes, Apple made it very clear that the first machines would ship within one year. A lot of people took this to mean "June 2006", but it could be much earlier. Apple said they would not complete the transition to x86 for two years. Meaning they will be shipping both x86 and PPC systems simultaneously for about a year or so.

That said, I doubt an x86 mini is in the cards so soon. I expect the portables to make the move first. But if the mini does switch first, that would probably be a good move, since it could make it more appealing to switchers (which is kind of the whole point of the mini).

Mikuro said:
Yes, Apple made it very clear that the first machines would ship within one year. A lot of people took this to mean "June 2006", but it could be much earlier. Apple said they would not complete the transition to x86 for two years. Meaning they will be shipping both x86 and PPC systems simultaneously for about a year or so.
Absolutely, that was my point. :)

Mikuro said:
That said, I doubt an x86 mini is in the cards so soon. I expect the portables to make the move first. But if the mini does switch first, that would probably be a good move, since it could make it more appealing to switchers (which is kind of the whole point of the mini).
I expect the mini will be first, but maybe not just yet.

georgelien said:
The first Intel CPU-based Macs will appear within one year--at next year's WWDC--at least that's what Steve promised.
Steve also promised 3 Ghz G5's by Xmas 2004, or was it 2003. It's so long ago I cant remember. And still nothing. Dont hold your breath for an Intel Mac just yet!!!!!

It'll be a mac mini with a faster G4, better video card and larger hard disk space. That's what I think.

Back