New Mac Mini?

cory1848

Registered
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/12/rumor-new-mac-m.html

I have a question if there is truth to this rumor...

Lets say this becomes reality...I would love one to replace my 867 Dual MDD G4. My question is.... My options are a used 2.0 dual G5 tower PPC, for about $600... or this new mac mini ($700)...Would the mac mini out power the 2.0 G5? What would I be better off with?

I have a server so I dont need the space, but I do use CS3 suite heavily with PS3, ID, LR2, and Office 2008. Would the mac mini handles those apps with ease? My current G4 handles them well but is slow and lags...

So new mac mini or used G5 PPC? I guess thats my question...

MacPro is out of the question due to cost, I will be picking up a Macbook for mobility as well sometime...

Thoughts?

Thanks

I would say new Mac mini. Not only is it faster than the G5, but it would have a much longer lifespan than the G5. As it is, I don't think that 10.6 is going to support PPC. The drawbacks would be the possibility of upgrades, of course.

Ti Mactoonies please...

Yes, if there really is a new mini with decent graphics, it would beat out the G5. Remember also that the minis are Energy Star rated and consume way less power than any Tower.

Regarding speed differences between a Mac Mini and a PowerMac G5 2.0 GHz, the PowerMac G5 will win on the speed. I already asked an IT guy at work if getting a decked-out Mac Mini would trounce my current dual 2.7 GHz G5, he said 'no way.' There are more than just raw GHz numbers when comparing a tower to a boxed laptop. Throughput on a PowerMac G5 is faster than any Mac Mini will ever be (in my lifetime).

I suppose you have to consider what you're going to use the computer for. For my purposes, my PowerMac G5, dual 2.7 GHz purchased in the Fall of 2004, is still more than fast enough for my needs. I had the power supply replaced in it once, wow, that made a big 'pop' when that blew! And, I even saw a flash emanate from inside the tower when it happened. Apple no longer makes parts for the G5, but it does refurbish the ones in the supply chain. Remember, the U.S. government and large corporations still use G5's - they aren't going anywhere just yet.

I just upgraded to Leopard about 3 weeks ago - it's like having a brand new computer. I have no intention of replacing my PowerMac yet. I might be limited to Leopard, but I use it for cruising the web, email, OpenOffice.org, GIMP, etc...

If you go with the G5, just remember to select an external hard drive that is compatible with the future, like USB 2.0, Firewire 400/800, eSATA, etc...

If you want a computer for cruising the internet and checking email, look into an iPod Touch if you can afford one, other than that, get a used laptop and install Linux on it.

I'd personally say that's denial. Also: Snow Leopard won't run on that G5. Don't invest in old hardware.

Back