256MB DDR266 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/100
Combo drive
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
64MB DDR video memory
FireWire 800
56K internal modem
Bluetooth Ready

Now...Bluetooth ready??? cmon all the computer with USB are bluetooth ready... the spec are almost the same of the old DUAL 867 .....yes i said DUAL of course this is 200 $ or something like that cheeper...but you only get 133 Mhz more for chip....but ...wait a minute...the DUAL 867 has 2 Chip........
So Of course i am paying 200 $ less...i am gettng much less performance...it seems to me that this model is like a year old...

I am very disappointed... i mean the other computers....are fine...but this model... it isn`t enought... sorry ...but i have to say this...Apple this time really messed up...:(

Hey, no one's forcing you to buy it. I'm sure its a good option for certain applications ... but if it were my money I'd just pay the extra for a dual-processor model.

I guess Apple just wanted to make a PowerMac that was affordable for people whose budget is in the iMac range, but who want the ability to expand later with PCI add-ons and extra hard drives. I'm sure its also more than enough performance for certain studio and multimedia applications where it is being used to supplement existing equipment.
Actually, as a file server it would be great, too, with 4 hard-drive bays and a cheap price-tag. It would also make a nice mail server for when the traffic is nothing spectacular but the amount of storage needed is extremely high.

So, no, I don't think Apple dropped the ball on this one ... it just isn't the one you want.

Dual processors are only really useful if the application fully exploits it. If not, the second processor is sitting there idle anyway. Althought OS X has SMP support built in, it's not like dual processor would actually double the performance (actually, quite far from it).

To me, I think the new 1GHz machines are targetted at people who mainly do page layouts and photo editing (PhotoShop) but not videos and such. Although PS supports dual processors, it's not optimized across the board. So the lack of another processor isn't too painful. However, DV encoding (and raytracing for 3d rendering) on the PowerMacs are highly optimized for multiple processors, so for video folks, it's the 1.25 and 1.42 processor machines.

I was bummed about the single processor 1Ghz too. I thoguht Apple REALLY hit upon the right price/performance until I saw it's 1 processor instead of 2.

However, having 1 fast processor versus 2 slower processors isn't that bad, check the tests below to see.

http://www.macspeedzone.com/html/reviews/machines/desktop/towers/feb-02/933_1ghz_9.html

At MOST there was a 180%+ advantage with a second processor, but that is because the app is highly optimized. You can see that PhotoShop at most has a ~140% advantage with a second processor, and some of its functions doesn't even support SMP.

Back