New Mac user, frustrated trying to install Eclipse

ansfrid

Registered
I've had my Mac now for a week and a half, never used it before. I am learning fast (I think), trying to make the most of it, get the software I'd most value installed on it, etc... I've had no trouble installing most programs I want, except the Eclipse java ide. I download the Mac version from eclipse.org, expand it, and I end up with an Eclipse folder, in which there is only a plugins folder, in which there are large number of jar files distributed through various sub-directories. Where is the actual Eclipse.app file though? I am not sure if I am doing something when expanding it, but I am fairly sure I am downloading the correct file.

It may be a pipe dream to try running it on my 512MB ram mac mini, but it's the IDE I use at work, so I am familiar with it.

Some additional general questions (since I have your attention).
-There is no uninstall feature. Yet, some apps use more files than just the .app file. Notably, some set up library directories under my user profile. If I delete the app, will those library files also get deleted? For instance, I have installed 3 or 4 other Java IDEs to check out which one I may want to use. Eventually, I will probably delete all except one, and I want to make sure I clean up after myself.
-When I create a workflow in the automater (a bloody cool application), I can save it as a workflow, or as a plugin, but I am unclear on what the difference is. Are plugins only available in specific apps? I was trying to create a workflow for using on pictures in iPhoto, I wanted to resize it, embed it in a mail, and pre-format the mail with some text. It works as a workflow from the finder menu (though I end up with a second image as it resizes it), but I can't make it show up in iPhoto itself.
-Occasionally, the mac hangs for a good 5 to 10 seconds as the hard drive spins up. It seems to be random, doing nothing special, maybe just scrolling a window, or changing windows, possible hardware fault, or just something I need to put up with?
-I spotted one program (Azareus) that still had a presence in the activity monitor, even after I quit it. It seems to not fully shut down. It's not on the force quit menu, yet it still has the tiniest fraction of cpu cycle in the activty monitor. Is this Azareus being sneaky on me and keeping some backdoor open, or is it a fault of the OS not shutting it down properly. I am not sure if it's happened to other programs.
-My help doesn't work. At all. I can bring up the front page of it, but it just doesn't react to a search, nor do any of the links react when I click on them. App specific help works fine, but not the general OS help (or is it Finder help...the generic one in any case)
-I've noticed some widgets that perpetually use CPU activity, even when the dashboard is not open. I don't want my widgets to use up resources when the dashboard is not open, and I notice many stay dormant until I go into the dashboard. Can I stop the other widgets from keeping my computer busy, or is it just bad widget design? I deactivated the offenders, but it's annoying.
-and this is the stupidest question, but on the menus, there are symbols to represent the keys used in shortcutting to it. I understand the apple symbol, and I figured out which means Option, and Shift, but there is one that looks like an upside down Q (sort of), a circle with a line coming out the upper left....what key is that? I tried Ctrl, but it didn't do what I thought it would. Is there a guide for them?

Ok, this got more wordy than I planned. Thanks for your time.

-There is no uninstall feature. Yet, some apps use more files than just the .app file. Notably, some set up library directories under my user profile. If I delete the app, will those library files also get deleted? For instance, I have installed 3 or 4 other Java IDEs to check out which one I may want to use. Eventually, I will probably delete all except one, and I want to make sure I clean up after myself.

Generally you don't need to worry about uninstalling. The config files created in the library folders are usually tiny (only a few kb), are not used by any other apps, and can easily be deleted if you want. There is simply no need for an uninstaller for most apps.

-Occasionally, the mac hangs for a good 5 to 10 seconds as the hard drive spins up. It seems to be random, doing nothing special, maybe just scrolling a window, or changing windows, possible hardware fault, or just something I need to put up with?

The Mac Mini's hard drive is fairly slow. You could try going into System Prefs --> Energy Saver and turn off the option to spin down the hard drive when not in use, though.

-I spotted one program (Azareus) that still had a presence in the activity monitor, even after I quit it. It seems to not fully shut down. It's not on the force quit menu, yet it still has the tiniest fraction of cpu cycle in the activty monitor. Is this Azareus being sneaky on me and keeping some backdoor open, or is it a fault of the OS not shutting it down properly. I am not sure if it's happened to other programs.

Azureus doesn't do that for me. Did you actually quit the program by going to Azureus --> Quit? Have you checked that you're running the latest version of Azureus?

I've noticed some widgets that perpetually use CPU activity, even when the dashboard is not open. I don't want my widgets to use up resources when the dashboard is not open, and I notice many stay dormant until I go into the dashboard. Can I stop the other widgets from keeping my computer busy, or is it just bad widget design? I deactivated the offenders, but it's annoying.

Yes, its bad widget design that's to blame for this.

-and this is the stupidest question, but on the menus, there are symbols to represent the keys used in shortcutting to it. I understand the apple symbol, and I figured out which means Option, and Shift, but there is one that looks like an upside down Q (sort of), a circle with a line coming out the upper left....what key is that? I tried Ctrl, but it didn't do what I thought it would. Is there a guide for them

The key you're talking about is "esc".
You'll also notice that in some system menus the power-button or eject button are also options you might see represented as little symbols.

I have been testing Eclipse for Mac OS X since version 3.0. The current Version 3.1 considered to be the most stable one to date.

Which version have you downloaded and do not try to use MX version?

Next, I will suggest that you should use Disk Utiliity to check hard disk before the reinstallation.

I hope the above will help .

I tried downloading 3.11, 3.1, and 3.0, they all end up the same way. Lots of jar files in the plugins folder, but no actual eclipse.app file.

I have tentatively concluded though, that my 512 MB of ram may choke on it in any case. I tried downloading Oracle JDeveloper, and it was slow as a pig (not that it's the same as Eclipse, but both are regarded as more of a memory hog). Netbeans seems to have a much smaller imprint, although the gui is less elegant.

As to uninstalling, how do I know which config files in the library apply to the app? Sometimes they fall under a directory of the same name, but it galls me not to be able to fully wipe an install that I don't want anymore. Deleting the app in Applications is easy, but if I am getting rid of it, I'd really prefer to fully tidy up and sweep out the refuse. If go to the library, and there is an obvious directory for that app....ok, I can delete it, I just worry about assorted files in places that are not obviously related.

Shame about the hard drive. I will keep in mind the keep spinning option if it proves to annoying to deal with.

And thanks for the escape key thing, what a stupid issue to get caught on. It seems obvious now.

Back