New MacBooks and MacBook Pros

bbloke

Registered
Apple has updated the MacBook and MacBook Pro range:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/
Apple said:
Apple today introduced new models of the MacBook and MacBook Pro. MacBook Pro models feature the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors (running at up to 2.6GHz with 6MB of shared L2 cache), larger hard drives (up to 300GB), and 2GB of memory standard in most models. They also include the latest NVIDIA graphics processors — with up to 512MB of video memory — and an innovative Multi-Touch trackpad, first introduced in MacBook Air.

The three new models of the MacBook feature faster processors and hard drives: sleek white 2.1 GHz and 2.4 GHz models with 120GB or 160GB 5400 rpm hard drives and a stunning black 2.4 GHz model with a massive 250GB 5400 rpm hard drive. The 2.4 GHz MacBook ships with 2GB of memory standard, expandable up to 4GB across the line.

Available immediately, the new MacBook and MacBook Pro models start at just $1,099 and $1,999, respectively. [Feb 26, 2008]

Yea. I know someone that was buying one this week and had no clue about the updates. They will be glad. :)

The MacBook Pros can now have 2.6 GHz processors as a built-to-order option (otherwise 2.5 GHz), larger hard drives, and more VRAM. They also incorporate a multi-touch trackpad. I've noticed, though, that the remote is no longer included as standard and is an optional extra.

The 17" models have the option of an LED display, as well.

Anybody else notice that the 500 dollar jump from the baseline model to the midrange model is basically for 256MB more VRAM?

...it's really coincidental that I sold my 1.83GHz MacBook just yesterday...

Last edited:
And 50GB extra storage, 100MHz higher clock speed per core. I think usually a bump like that in VRAM costs a lot when you're talking about a retail graphics card.

I am ordering my 17" w/LED today! I don't think the glossy will be a benefit to me. Plus, it is 2-3 weeks out yet vs the regular LED (7-10 days)

I have 15" MBP (the now old one) at home and 17" HP at work. If you have to use it
all day long, 17" is totally worth its value. But, if you have to move it a lot, 15" is better.

And 50GB extra storage, 100MHz higher clock speed per core. I think usually a bump like that in VRAM costs a lot when you're talking about a retail graphics card.

It just seemed like a lot to me. On that note, I wonder how the three processor choices compare...

Back