New memory chip

MrSasquatch

Registered
My dad got a ValueSelect DDR2 667 mhz 2GB memory chip thing that goes in the place where you open up on the bottom of the Macbook Pro. We think we put it in the slot described, but when we try to turn the computer back on, the light on the front just blinks. How can we get it to work?

If the computer detects no SDRAM (Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory, also referred to as RAM) or the RAM installed does not meet the appropriate specifications, the screen will remain black but the power LED on the front of the computer will blink once per second to signal the error. This error condition may be due to physically damaged RAM, installing the incorrect type of RAM, or not having RAM installed.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303083

Macs are picky about RAM. It'd be best to find RAM that is reported working with Apple.

I'm surprised that the Corsair memory didn't work. From what I know about them, they're up there in quality with Crucial and Kingston.

But as has been mentioned already, OS X is very finicky with RAM because it's very finicky with timings. It's always best to stick with the same make/model of RAM. Mixing and matching brands will bring about problems due to differing timings in general, not just on Macs.

When I upgraded my memory in my MBP just went to NewEgg and looked for the ram I need. Looked at reviews of the memory to see if others reported good results or failues. I bought some budget ram and worked like a champ for me and it was off brand name I can't even remember brand name working fine for 18 months.

When I upgraded my memory in my MBP just went to NewEgg and looked for the ram I need. Looked at reviews of the memory to see if others reported good results or failues. I bought some budget ram and worked like a champ for me and it was off brand name I can't even remember brand name working fine for 18 months.

Did any of those reviews mention the RAM being used in a Mac? Most of the time those people are claiming the experience on a Windows PC.

Also, take those user reviews with a grain of salt. You want to make sure you get information from reliable sources that have experience with the Mac. I love NewEgg, but you have to be wary of so-called user reviews as they can skew the truth at times.

Did any of those reviews mention the RAM being used in a Mac? Most of the time those people are claiming the experience on a Windows PC.

Also, take those user reviews with a grain of salt. You want to make sure you get information from reliable sources that have experience with the Mac. I love NewEgg, but you have to be wary of so-called user reviews as they can skew the truth at times.

Yes I looked in the review from the customer to see how the ram worked with there Mac's and used that as a guide. The value ram has been working great for the 2 years I have had my MBP. Just bought a new IMac and plan on doing the same with the ram for it. Might see if the ram I bought last time is still avalible since new IMac use laptop ram.

Umm. Macbook Pros dont have an accessible ram slot from the bottom. Are you thinking of Macbook nonpros.

Back