new osx-er... need help

HorseArtist

Registered
ok.. here's the deal, I just got an emac with osx in June and it has been great until now. Until I tried to download Java 1.4.1 off the Apple website and some other software updates.
Now, when my keyboard volume keys are touched, the whole screen goes blue and everything is wiped out. It just wipes out my screen and goes back to like nothing happens. I can't even throw away the installer on the desktop because it says it's in use. I tried reinstalling the system software to no avail. I have no clue what to do next. any suggestions?
Thank you....

i'm not sure i understand what's going on here. 1st - you say 'tried to download'. did you download and install the updates or not? were you using software update or stand alone versions? 2nd - - "the whole screen goes blue and everything is wiped out. It just wipes out my screen and goes back to like nothing happens." sorry i can't picture this unless you have somehow relaunched your finder. is that the kind of thing you're talking about or what? please be a little more specific as to what is happening.

you can put the volume controls in your menu bar for easy access so that at least you can control your volume untill this is fixed if the volume keys are the lonly thing that start this behavior.

I had the screen go all blue, it's a system logout, if you have it set up where you have to login, you will be kicked to the login screen. This has occurred on my system a few times , I posted here and no one knew what the problem would possibly be, except it might have something to do with a 3rd party menu extra.

I assume you have your system setup to automatically log you in, so it will return to the desktop after the blue screen. I suggest running a permissions check from the install CD, although I tried that and I still had it occur. It has yet to happen to me as of yet after a CLEAN install, but I did have a panic when my default screen saver came on just yesterday, so it never ends.

If the system crashes and goes back to login screen, more often than not, the problem is corrupted Fonts...

Also, anyone who has problems with OS X 10.2 (aka Jaguar) read my signature ;)

All my fonts appear to be fine, and i use Font Reserve, when this occurred with my system, about 80% of the time Photoshop was open, automatically taking 50% of my ram, so I was thinking it may be memory based, something cached causing problems or something.

edX- I downloaded Java. It installed successfully. I downloaded it off the Apple downloads. I'm not sure Java has anything to do with it. Second...I have no idea how to relaunch my finder or what it looks like when it does relaunch.
The volume keys aren't the only thing that causes this behavior. The only other thing that does is when I go to my finder and click on "About this Mac"...I would check it right now to see if it does it with anything in my finder but I would loose everything that's up right now.
Urbansory- you describe it best as a system logout. I don't have to log back in though. It just comes back up (the screen and all my normal desktop items). I did re-install the system software and it still messed up.
Now that I think about it, edX, maybe there is something wrong with my finder somehow?
Thanks

There have been various reports of trouble caused by that Java update around the net. I'm not sure that a Java update would cause the problems you've described, but I've heard of a fix for others who had problems stemming from the update.

Randy B Singer, owner of http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html
, suggested the following remedy:

In the terminal, type:

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions

sudo ln -sfh 1.3.1 CurrentJDK

I don't know what this does precisely. Just an option.

Well...I tried Terminal. I don't know anything about it. I haven't a clue where to go next. This sucks 'cuz this computer is only a couple months old and it's got troubles already. : (

I just got my power back from the hurricane...
I might as well start a new post on how to erase my harddrive...It's such a new computer that I don't have much on it that I can't live without. And I still have my old G4 I can put stuff on.
Any suggestions before I do start a new post?

Trash ALL the files/directories from the following stuff:
~/Library/Preferences/ (this is inside your home folder)
~/Library/Caches/ (this is inside your home folder)
/Library/Preferences/ (this is inside your Macintosh HD)
/Library/Caches/ (this is inside your Macintosh HD)

And then Restart your Mac...

In the last 2 cases you may have to use the Terminal... Launch Terminal and type for example the following:
--> cd /Library/Caches/
--> sudo rm -r *

Provide your password and that's it...

99% the above will resolve your problems... After restarting your Mac apply the OS X 10.2.6 Combo Update and after that Repair Permissions... Case Closed! :D

If you have any questions just ask...

Don't erase your data! Not yet! :p

CAUTION
You will have to set all your preferences/settings in your apps and games after doing the above things...

This is from the JDK documentation for switching between different versions of java. It may be worth a try:

* To switch to the JDK 1.3.1 that came with Mac OS X 10.2, do this in a shell:
% sudo /usr/local/bin/jsettestjdk 1.3.1
* To switch back to using the JDK 1.4.1 seed:
% sudo /usr/local/bin/jsettestjdk 1.4.1
* To determine which version of java is currently active:
% java -version

Also, take a look at the logs, especially after a crash to see if there are any messages that may give you a clue about what is going on.
Take a look at these files:
/var/tmp/console.log
/var/log/system.log
and the files in the /Users/<yourname>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ directory

The easiest way to look at the logs is to use the Console app (in Applications/Utilities/) or to type the command "more <filename>" in the Terminal.

Back