New PC/MAC Network (Barely)

jeffuehrer

Registered
Hello,
I'm new to this forum but found a lot of interesting topics and help relating to my new endeavor. I recently bought a "New" to me G4 10.3.9 OS and have an existing P4 XP hooked up to my printer and internet. I did some research and I have learned that I need a crosscable ethernet cable to connect just 2 computers. I don't plan on adding any more computers anytime soon and was wondering if: 1) Crosscable would allow me to connect to the internet from the G4; 2) Crosscable would allow me to print to the printer from the G4. I read that newer Macs don't require crosscables because they "know" if they are needed or not. But what about the PC? Again, I really would not like to spend money on a router, hub, or anything of that nature if it is not required. Both computers are ethernet ready-to-go. Could it be as simple as connecting them? Please advise. Thank you in advance for your help. ;)

If you are connecting two machines directly without anything in between you require a crossover cable. This is needed otherwise the data cables link in>in and out>out and not a lot happens. If you have a hub or similar device in between this handles the crossover. I don't believe newer Macs can handle this cross over internally.

If you connect the machines in this way you should be able to share internet connection with few problems. I have found it easier to set up the direct sonnection on the Mac and share it with the pc rather than the other way around.

Equally printing should be possible, but it deoends on the make/model of the printer as to how easy it is. Just make sure you have an account with the same name on both systems.

"Just make sure you have an account with the same name on both systems." Internet account? Also, my printer is connected to my PC and so is my broadband internet connection. I was going to try to set up through XP but if that doesn't work I'll try it the other way around as you suggested. Any other helpful tidbits would be great. Thank you for your help.

Tommo said:
If you are connecting two machines directly without anything in between you require a crossover cable. This is needed otherwise the data cables link in>in and out>out and not a lot happens. If you have a hub or similar device in between this handles the crossover. I don't believe newer Macs can handle this cross over internally.

Actually, you don't need a crossover cable. I've managed to connect my Powerbook to my PC using DHCP and a standard ethernet cable. If you have a newish mac, I'm pretty sure you needn't worry about getting a crossover cable.

Thanks BobW and Viro. The info was great. I've already purchased a crossover cable because I wasn't sure if I needed it or not (PC?). I found a cheap one just the right length (15 ft.) on buy.com. If need be I can get a straight ethernet cable at no cost from the multidude of cables and wires collecting at work. Viro; Questions: Is your PC running XP Home? Also, What kind of setup do you have? i.e. Can you use your internet and printer from this connection? Did you set up your PC to do the connection? Any other help would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

The ethernet port of your G4 allows the use of non-crosslinked cables, as Viro said. Since you already got the cable let's move on:
How is your PC connected to your broadband modem? USB? If it's using an ethernet port, do you have two ethernet cards installed in your PC? You will need to be connected to your broadband and the local network at the same time (obviously). I am not really familiar with the differences between WinXP Pro and Home. I know that the remote desktop option (as used in RDC) does not work with the Home edition. However, if WinXP Home supports DHCP, internet-share and printer share, it should be an easy job for you to setup your network as desired. Make sure the printer and internet connection work fine on your pc. Now set a fixed IP to the TCP/IP-Protocol of your lan connection where the Mac will be plugged to. I suggest 192.168.0.1. Set the subnet mask on 255.255.255.0. Right-click your internet connection icon in the Connections window and pick Properties to share this connection to the lan connection. You will find this option in the last tab under Advanced. On your Mac-side simply leave all settings on automatical and after a short moment your Mac should be able to browse the web. Printer-sharing is as easy. Share the printer on your PC to the network and setup a windows-share printer on your Mac using the Printer Setup Utility. Et voilà! Ahhh, you should turn off any firewalls within the lan connection.
Good luck!

Thanks Zammy! I use a USB cable connected modem. With the detailed information you provided that should be enough for me to get going once my cable gets here. ;)

Back