NEW: possible new imac confirmation on...

What should the iMac G5 in September be like?

• Almost like the current G4 one, little changes only.

• Basically 'just a screen', a bit thicker, everything integrated.

• A 'Cube' revival, a bit larger to accomodate the G5's heat (screen optional?)

• A slim pizzabox (screen optional?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like you're sig, btw. Its doesn't compatable with all mistakes, though. ;-) But on topic... Pivotable display would be nice, although I think that'd rather be a pro feature...

garymum4d said:
I could not see this image. I just got a SpyMac Message. If you get the same here it is
upload_211620.jpg

Bleuarkkkk. :(

I think it would be cool if this iMac had a DETACHABLE screen you could put up on a wall and run wirelessly. Kind of like the flat screen plasma tvs that are everywhere now. :)

As far as production the box at least is quite cheap and easy to make. Just extrude aluminum bars to the desired shape, remelt the excess and use the remainder for the screen frame. Pretty cheap, actually!

i'm with fryke in this:
If that would be the design (in whatever material) and the screen would be optional it would be great! it is kind of minimalistic like the ipod, and you could plug it into your tv/projector/really expensive pro-calibrationscreen or whatever. I know my girlfriend would get a G5 iMac if she could use her NEC pro-screen.

I think having the computer in the screen is a fundamental part of the iMac (indeed it was a fundamental part of Lisa and of the Mac when Steve created it). So I would be very, very surprised if the screen would be optional.

BTW, the 17" display has just the right form factor for a new Lisa... with its screen taking the whole front of the computer, CD/DVD bay below, all connector on the side or below the screen... and keyboard in front !

(sorry, I'm not Photoshop user/expert... it's pure GraphicConverter)

Attachments

• minium3.jpg
    minium3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 24
Though this probably will never happen, plus no one wants to reach under the desk to insert a cd or have to access port but still looks cool.

picture_d_powerfulmac_r14d.jpg

There is another one but really looks like a desklap from the back.

This one is very old but still my favorite, if it was white and had a thin sleek white and crome keyboard... either way... Can't wait till september since I am in the need of upgrading.

picture_b_himac_r06b.jpg

I'm dying for a G5 iMac. I need to fill a void of a desktop to do my development and testing on. Also, I need a machine to run server and betaware on for my studying.

Maybe one could separate the form factor from the "screen optional".

the screen optional point seems moot, since it would cease to be an iMac if there were no integration. iMac is the general/basic consumer model, (no offense meant here) designed to fit the uses and budgets of those who are not professionals and do not know a whole lot about the different aspects of computers. However, due to the design of the system and hardware, the iMac can be used as a power computer, the integration of features and limited modification/replacement abilities place it in the category of general consumer. Therefore, offering a computer with no screen would make sense to all of us, it would not make sense to Apple ( or should I say: would not make "Cents" to apple).

Again, just an observation, not an expert.

That poll really needs a "none of the above" option.

I do quite like that cylinder one mi5moav posted (though I don't understand why he thinks you'd need to keep it under your desk). It would be better if the optical drive and a few ports were in the base of the monitor though.

Though, the one he says is his favourite is the most hiddeous of all of them by a long long margin.

Back