new powerbook, wait or buy?

Ok, so it really was a black G3 with around 196 MB of RAM.
I loaded OS X on it and removed the 8.6 OS to make more room. It seemed to handle OS X fine, although it was quite slow starting up. I loaded Virtual PC 5.0 and installed WIN2K just to see if it really worked. I know it was hardly the optimum setup, it was just a test to see if I could installa nd run the few things from the PC side I needed to have.

Although it was slow and the Virtual PC was about useless because of the overloaded G3, it was enough to get me to order a new G4 PowerBook. Now I just need to find a good two button mouse.

Now I just need to find a good two button mouse.
might i suggest the wacom graphire2. not only will you get a 3 button mouse with scroll wheel, you'll be able to take advantage of inkwell also. :)

Virtual PC runs terribly in OS X. If you want to run it with any amount of responsiveness, run it in OS 9.

Originally posted by itanium
Virtual PC runs terribly in OS X. If you want to run it with any amount of responsiveness, run it in OS 9.

I thought it was slow because the harware I was running it on was outdated. Are you saying it will be slow running on current hardware and running the latest version of Virtual PC?

Originally posted by dafuser
I thought it was slow because the harware I was running it on was outdated. Are you saying it will be slow running on current hardware and running the latest version of Virtual PC?

Virtual PC isn't a replacement for a PC. Depending on what your needs are, it may suffice - maybe. Can you be more specific? What will you be doing?

It's a great tool for when there is no other option and you have to be running Windows (I'll do cross-platform/browser testing of websites for example). For daily use of processor-intensive Windows programs (from my experience anyway) forget it.

Originally posted by KrinkleCut
Virtual PC isn't a replacement for a PC. Depending on what your needs are, it may suffice - maybe. Can you be more specific? What will you be doing?

I reallly need a Nortel VPN client. I can't find a native OS X version, but have heard it's in work.

I thought I could use Virtual PC and the Nortel VPN client to VPN to the office. I was hoping to run X apps via OS X while using Virtual PC for the VPN conenction.

When I get mine, I will post some stats and stuff.
I will compare it against the first edition powerbook G4 (500Mhz).

I should get it towards the end of December.

John.

Mmmm... PowerBook.

Mmmm... iBook.

I want one. I'd LOVE a PowerBook. But the price is still to high for me. I'd ent up settling for an iBook, but the processor's a G3. I want a G4, but if the iBooks ever went G4, the price would probably go back up. Maybe THAT'S why they lowered the iBook's price. So when the price goes back up for a G4 it won't feel as bad.

Sneaky Apple. ;)

Back