New Powerbooks - Query

cbl2001

Registered
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade (sort of) from my old 15" to a new 12" PBook for convenience, maybe having a desktop system for power. However, I wondered if there was a noticeable difference between a 1.3GhZ (or the 1.5ghZ 15") G4 processor, and the 1GhZ G4?

Cheers,
Chris

well, I guess this will be hard to tell. I don't think anyone in here would consider to upgrade just for 0.3Ghz. And since the new 1.5Ghz alubooks just came out, I expect ppl to get them shipped in around 1 month or two. The upgrade is not worth yet. Wait a bit till the G5 powerbooks are out.

OK, that makes sense. I had just heard that the newer PBook models (I got a titanium one about a month before the alu-15" came out!) were faster due to their type of memory and bus speed (??). Thanks.

Am telling you this, since I am in the exact same situation. ;)
Also tibook here and also hardly waiting to justify a new powerbook.

The powerbooks just announced use DDR333 and the FSB is 167Mhz. 167 x 2 = 334. The FSB is not DDR but at least this way the FSB and memory bus is in ratio. So no, the G4 won't really take full advantage of the DDR memory. The extra 300 MHz might mean something to you if you're doing some heavy duty work on the road and connected to an external power source.

Back