new powerbooks tuesday, i can feel it.

buggerit

Brown Eye 4 The Queer Guy
this time it's for real. i've consulted the stars, the zodiac, the celestial spheres, the ancient satallites, the heavenly orbs and the sky gods, and the all tell me one thing:

"twinkle twinkle twinkle" (trans. There's new powerbooks tuesday):p

What? New PBs? So soon? I was expecting them in about a month...oh well, I'll buy if it's new...

I wonder what will be the difference between the new 15" PB and the current Tibooks? If all they do is push out a 1GHz G4 with superdrive and usb2.0, firewire800 in the Alubook formfactor and jack up the price back to $2700.00 range, I'll consider that a ho-hum release.

What would exite me: DVD-RW/CD-RW drive, built-in Bluetooth, built in GPRS for those who want to be truly wireless without the need for Wifi hotspots, twice the battery life as current Ti books with same or greater performance, and a 100GB hard drive.

Throw in the ability to record video from your TV with your PB without the need to purchase any add-on HW would be an added bonus (or can you do it now?) ;)

And yes, I WOULD like fries with that :D

I see an almost 100% probability that the 15" and 17" PowerBooks are updated tomorrow (well, it's already Tuesday here, so, today...) and about an 80% probability about the new 12" model that is said to be thinner than before.

Rumours are also that the 15" and 17" models are getting 1.3 GHz 7457 processors, so malexgreen: I guess you won't be disappointed that much.

whoohoo!! I've been waiting to get a Powerbook sometime this summer... Glad I waited... Sorry for the dumb question, but 7457 = G5 right?

Originally posted by MrNivit1
Sorry for the dumb question, but 7457 = G5 right?

Wishful thinking there dude! The 7457 is a G4, one of Motorola's newer ones. Be a while before a PowerBook G5 unfortunately.

Oh Monktus, I hope I can laugh at you tomorrow and say you are wrong, wrong, wrong!

But I have no proof. It would make sense to have Xserves out before PowerBooks. I understand Apple is having a hard time selling them because admins are scared f them. It seems Admins are worried about headcount reductions because the machine does what it promises it can do.

I would like to see the "Year of the PowerBook" feature at least two or three revisions to the line-up. If rumors are believed to be true, the biggest hang-up is Motorola's inability to deliver faster chips as promised.

I hope so too pyro! I had thought they might appear a bit sooner but doesn't look like it. I think you're right about the XServes, once Apple gets the cooling right for 1U they'd be next I imagine. Would IBM be working on a mobile 970 do you think or will Apple just try and dissapate the extra heat as best they can? There seems to be a difference of opinion on here about how easy it would be to design a PB with a 970. As far as I knew that was the difference between Apple and other laptops - instead of specially designed chips Apple just used slightly slower versions of the standard CPUs?

But its all just speculation after all, I just hope I can get enough finance for my new company to get a G5! That would make me a happy bunny.

Off topic but one thing's been annoying me. Why do some people (mostly Windows people it seems) write Mac as MAC, like it's an acronym. I know it's insanely petty but why????

Originally posted by monktus
Off topic but one thing's been annoying me. Why do some people (mostly Windows people it seems) write Mac as MAC
That bugs the shit outta me...
And I'm sorry i'll have to destroy every powerbook upgrade made... I didn't wait for an upgrade, it was now or never...
EDIT: fixed the quote

Well... There's 'Mac' (short for Macintosh) and 'MAC' (short for Media Access Control).

MAC: "On a local area network (LAN) or other network, the MAC (Media Access Control) address is your computer's unique hardware number. (On an Ethernet LAN, it's the same as your Ethernet address.) When you're connected to the Internet from your computer (or host as the Internet protocol thinks of it), a correspondence table relates your IP address to your computer's physical (MAC) address on the LAN."

Edit 1: I totally dig how the term 'physical' is used in this definition I've found...

Edit 2: In tech support, the usual answer when asking the customer about the MAC address of his cable modem is: "I'm using Windows." I still haven't found a really cold answer to this one...

MaC hAcKeR, we warned you, we told you to wait a month...how long did you wait? Not 2 weeks...

Of course, there's always eBay for ya', there you'll find insanely stupid people who'll buy your 12" PB at more than retail cost...

NO NO NO!!! MY POWERBOOK!!!
I'm happy with my PowerBook. What will they add? a 41 GB hard drive and a 900 MHz G4 to it? HOLY CRAP WHAT AN IMPACT!

I just want the PB 15" to have that nice new keyboard and I'd be set. Faster and more whizz bang just means hotter machine and shorter battery life.

I'm waiting till october for a new PowerBook. By then, there should be a new 12" model, and Panther installed. I hope so.
I don't need that extra speed, but I do need an usb2.0-port . I hope the price won't rise too much. Money doesn't fall out of the sky, you know .

wow you're using a performa now and you'll wait till october? that's some true determination. I'm on a iMac 266 and it's been my only computer since I got it new. If nothing comes out today, I may have to buy a 15inch (knowing there are none left) and hope it gets upgraded for me when the new ones are released. I've been happily patient with the speed of this little computer for so long and now I want speed!

Back