New Powerbooks?

Yes all laptops will get an upgrade at MWNY. Probably not sooner.

That is my opinion, but it seems logical since they havent been upgraded much in a while.

Twister

I'd love a speed bump and a GPU upgrade for the iBook...

I am so torn, I am thinking of selling my iBook to get a PowerBook cuz I like the G4 while running OS X, but at the same time, I love the iBook's size and construction - not to mention the price!

Decisions, decisions, decisions... :p

-B

We are torn between a new iMac or Powerbook. Speed and price vs Business Usefullness (I ain't carrying an iMac to the clients!):confused:

I must say that the current speed of the Powerbooks are stopping us at present. They are just not up to scratch compared to the G4s and iMacs (plus the higher cost).

I don't think these figures are correct all the way. Notice that the price of the 800 would go UP 100 dollars. That's no good.

I'm betting the next ones will be at Macworld, hopefully with Radeon Mobility 7500's. That would make me want one :D

ksuther, pst you already have one :)

I'm thinking they will do a more major revision at MWNY. I think they will be much faster with some nice new features (bluetooth etc.) and they might even have a little bit of a redesign or at least a little change.

Apple really needs to wake up with regard to it's Powerbook line...

First of all, the graphics system is WAAAY underpowered for what you pay. Apple touts these machines as mobile workstations, but unless you are doing print or web work, they are underpowered with the 16MB Mobile Radeon. Apple really needs a high end workstation graphics chip in at least the high end PB model. People using these machines as mobile workstations aren't as concerened with battery usage as other users, and would value a higher powered graphics chip over an extra hour in battery time.

Apple needs to outfit the high end Powerbook with a nVidia Quadro2Go chip. Dell's Inspirion features this same chip, and it makes a world of difference when doing 3D, and of course, playing demanding games. I know several people in the market for a laptop drooling over the stylings of the PBG4 and OS X, but unable to get their work done on these machines due to the graphics chip.

I really hope that Apple waits a little while longer to get this right...

Hum...

"The PowerPage has confirmed that Apple will announce two new PowerBook configurations on Tuesday, 30 April 2002:

* 667 MHz G4, 20 GB HDD, 256 MB RAM, DVD/CD-RW, US$2499
* 800 MHz G4, 40 GB HDD, 512 MB RAM, DVD/CD-RW, US$3199"

Looks like we may be in for a treat. :D

The second generation PowerBook G4 came with the graphic system I expected for my first generation. I expect a better graphic system for the third generation. While I will drool on the new PowerBook G4, I won't think about getting another PowerBook G4 until MacOS X pick up more speed.

Back