New Powerbooks

bluetooth 2.0, "trackpad scrolling" sounds interesting, sudden motion sensor sounds like hard drive locking on drop (perhaps), 100 gig hard drive is nice. Dual link DVI on the 17" (so you can spend more money on a 30" display).

a decent update for a non-annoucement type update, but...doesn't seem like anything earth shattering....

Being able to run a 30 display from the 15s and 17s is nice. The larger HD and having 512 of ram standard. A nice revision till the G5s 1.8s are announced next year at MacWorld. Oh, and still not stepping on mini's shoes.

With sidetrack, you have to move your finger on the edge of the trackpad to scroll, but Apple's new scrolling is different: "Just drag two fingers over the trackpad to scroll vertically and horizontally or pan around any active window."

-JARinteractive

Yep, the iBook looks still quite attractive. So much so, in fact, that I've decided to ditch the Mac mini and get me a secondary notebook instead. See new sig. ;)

this new powerbooks are AMAZING.
very very nice prices
come with amazing features...512 RAM. up to 100 GB disk,airport etc...

damn... i want one!

yeap upgrade on the 12inch video card..

and now the the powerbooks are really worth the price.
they are for power users, with power features..

the average Joe can settle with a cheap iBook....

...but yes, the Powerbook does beat it in every segment and now in the Price area as well :)

Viro said:
Quite a lack luster update. The iBooks look like much much better value.
I don't know where you're getting this from.

Faster processor and 20+GB bigger hard drive

8x DVD+-RW Superdrive

Audio in

Faster BT

Better graphics card (capable of running 30" cinema display)

Significant price drop

Any one of these things is great news (esp. the updated Superdrive), but when combined this is a very solid update. I'll definitely consider getting one after Tiger is released.

Kap

cfleck said:
now the question is to get this 12" or get the 1.33 12" at a discount...
Definitely get the new PB - it's already hundreds of dollars cheaper than what the 1.33 used to be new. Plus, the new Superdrive alone is a significant improvement.

Kap

that assumes you want a superdrive.

aren't the only real improvements the cpu & gpu?

configuring the new pb and the ibooks (12"ers) the way i would buy them: base model pb (no sd) and the ibook upgraded on hdd, bluetooth, airport extreme, and ram from crucial the prices come out to..

1399 for the pb
1130 for the ib

this is with edu. discount.

thats 269 more bucks for the pb

choices, choices...

what would you do?

Back