New PowerMac Case?

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
It's going around on the net... don't know much about it other than its a picture.

Attachments

• 4434newg4.jpg
    4434newg4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 380
I also found this one, something about the specs of this supposed new Mac.

Attachments

• newgpro.gif
    newgpro.gif
    41.2 KB · Views: 321
First Theory: I think someone got their hands on a quicksilver prototype. A prototype as in a computer case design that apple was deciding alongside of the current quicksilver.

I think that Apple realized that their professional motif would be dark and metal, and introduced the current quicksliver rather than this one.

Second Theory: The person who posted these pictuers took photos of the mobo, but not the inside or the folding out mechanism, he posted a pdf instead of the insides. Its my belief that he did a very good photoshop of the mobo, and outside case, but could not fabricate the insides, so he posted a amaturish pdf from corel of the insides.

Whether or not this is a preview of what is to come... I am tired of the current "model" designs of towers. I'd like to see something new and unique.

Admin

It's kind of ugly from the front. I thought the new towers were supposed to have more drive bays? At least 3 would be nice.

Other than the front, it looks like basically the same design Apple has been churning out since the B&W G3. I guess if it works, why kill it?

Originally posted by azosx
Other than the front, it looks like basically the same design Apple has been churning out since the B&W G3. I guess if it works, why kill it?

Think Volkswagen. ;-)

I thought the new ones would be basically the same, but changed only to accomodate the newer motherboards.

When the quicksilver rumors were fling around alot of people doubted the pictures on macosx.org because they only had a few low quality pics that they admited had been slightly photoshoped to remove evidence of the source. They were also the ONLY saposed spy pics that apple demanded be removed. I think apples c&d letters are proof enough that this is at least a prototype of the new case.

As far as completely changing the line, all I can assume is that they have an over abundance of those clear plastic corner pices and they wount completely change the case till it is exasted :p

Originally posted by hazmat

Think Volkswagen. ;-)

I thought the new ones would be basically the same, but changed only to accomodate the newer motherboards.

The Volkswagen Beetle was designed by Hitler and became known as the "People's Car" because anyone could work on it.

It's unfortunate that the new Beetle doesn't share the same characteristics as the original.

It's nice though that Apple keeps there towers basically the same. No other case compares to that of the form and function of a PowerMac.

The beige G3 cases are actually similar to the new ones. They open up in much the same way.

I personally think the new case is quite nice, the only thing I don't like is that it is white.

I think if they are indeed white in the end, I will paint the case myself. Maybe blue or something.

Originally posted by thedbp

Oh, those poor, unsuspecting hippies.

Well from what I understand, it wasn't designed BY Hitler, but FOR Hitler, as a "car of the people", hence "Volkswagen". But I think what he wanted most was a car for his campaign, where it could go through the desert and not overheat. The engines were air-cooled, not water-cooled. Same all the way up to the Porsche 911's up until only a few years ago I think. Many hardcore enthusiasts screamed about how the water-cooled ones weren't real 911, etc. I might argue the same thing about the new Beetles. Cool as they are, they are front engined and water-cooled. Basically a funky looking Golf. :)

Someone please correct any misinformation here.

Originally posted by hazmat

Well from what I understand, it wasn't designed BY Hitler, but FOR Hitler, as a "car of the people", hence "Volkswagen". But I think what he wanted most was a car for his campaign, where it could go through the desert and not overheat. The engines were air-cooled, not water-cooled. Same all the way up to the Porsche 911's up until only a few years ago I think. Many hardcore enthusiasts screamed about how the water-cooled ones weren't real 911, etc. I might argue the same thing about the new Beetles. Cool as they are, they are front engined and water-cooled. Basically a funky looking Golf. :)

Someone please correct any misinformation here.

Sorry, can't do that; all seems to match the actual facts (original Käfer was built on top of Kübelwagen, Wehrmacht jeep-like thingy; oversize rims used on Käfer betray rough terrain intended capabilities). The new Beetle reminds me of emasculated Polo rather than Golf; it's shorter, methinks.

So when do you think this new PM will be available? I think I read something about aug. 13th....wil it ship with 10.2 or 10.1?

that the new towers will be released on Aug. 24 alongside 10.2, and will ship w/ 10.2 . These machines will also NOT BOOT INTO 9 AT ALL.

BS. To many major development groups are still going to need access to 9 for classic apps, and most of the apps taht are left in classic require you actually BE IN 9, not in classic..

Course ive been wrong before

Why should they only boot into OS X?
Why shouldn't they be able to boot in 9?

The only reason I can imagine would be because Steve Jobs wants it so.
His distortion field seems to become stronger. Maybe he should go see a doctor...

Back