New powermacs?

Wait. At least until a true DDR front-side bus is there (so you can justify to yourself the steep price of DDR RAM).

I check the apple store, macnn, macosx.com, macslash, macosrumors and macrumors.com about 3 times a day hoping for a pmac update :p

I might be wrong as I'm no expert - but I doubt there will be any new Desktop Macs for a few months.

But the next Macs should be great ones if you want to hold your breath THAT long! :)

Its the year of the notebook according to Jobs. Why put your money into a dying platform like the PowerMac?

Apple is very likely going to release new PowerMacs within the end of February. Or at least a slight price drop :)
But kendall has got a point, a PowerBook would probably be a better choice right now :)

last year I guess was the year of the consumer desktop (iMac, eMac), and this year it is the year of the notebook, so we see great new PowerBooks, possibly iBooks too later on, so my guess is they are going to do big stuff with towers in 2004. Interesting that the new 64 bit PowerPC processors from Motorola and IBM should be available about then. By then, QuarkXPress will be in OS X, and basically nobody will want or even need 9 anymore, so they could move on to the Next Big Thing in a year. Knowing Apple's recent trends and history, I'd say they already have a good idea of what they're doing in a year, so I guess when every pro is ready to trade up to X they'll say "...one more thing..." as the final push.

Originally posted by verlorenengel
I want to buy a new powermac.

Should I wait a month or two or buy now?

When are some updates expected anyhow?

updates should be soon.

It would be ridiculous to buy one now.

Let's think about the last few PowerMac updates

Aug 2002, Jan 2002, July 2001, Jan 2001

And you're going to buy one now before they are updated?

In reality, Apple hasn't released a "new" PowerMac since the B&W G3. They've all been basically the same with only minor cosmetic changes and predictable upgrades, other than the SuperDrive.

I think its time Apple goes back to the drawing board with the PowerMac like they have with the iMac, iBook and PowerBook. Give us something new Apple.

Originally posted by kendall

I think its time Apple goes back to the drawing board with the PowerMac like they have with the iMac, iBook and PowerBook. Give us something new Apple.

why? is change itself the only goal?

Originally posted by kendall
In reality, Apple hasn't released a "new" PowerMac since the B&W G3. They've all been basically the same with only minor cosmetic changes and predictable upgrades, other than the SuperDrive.

I agree. I don't understand why Apple continues to design these all in one systems, when clearly many people do not want the constraints of such systems. A more robust desktop line would be a far better sell to those looking at Mac, rather than some very radical design like the iMac. It looks good and all, but when you people see the Sunday CompUSA circular advertising a DVD-R for $250, they'd like to just be able to go out buy it and toss it in their Mac. Barring major surgery, the all-in-one owners are stuck, if it's even compatible.
Compatibility with the plain vanilla off the shelf PC upgrades would be a major selling point as well. No need to hunt down Pioneer superdrives, when you can do with a Sony, Panasonic, or Ricoh.
I think any G3 product from Apple now has just got to go. The ibook line should just be replace with more reasonably priced Powerbooks, which I believe is beginning to happen.
The desktops could use a redesign to a chassis that can handle more than the 2 bays of the current model, for those that will need it, it's there. Perhaps a mini-tower and mid-tower. So long as OS X and the iApps are made more compatible with the more current hardware, not just the specialty devices Apple has standardized on.

Originally posted by cogito
if apple was going to release anything new soon they would have done it at macworld.

um... I don't think u know what you are talking about...

You mean how like last year they released the new iMacs at MWSF (early Jan) and then released new powermacs in late Jan?

Well, I guess I'll give it til the end of February.

If there's nothing out by then I may just buy a cheap G3 off ebay and use that until they release new powermacs.

Based on what I have been reading, I am expecting new Powermacs once the current models are sold out. Apple probably has them ready to go. At a minimum, I am expecting Airport Extreme and Firewire 800 capability. Probably built in bluetooth and a speed bump too.

If you all can recall that back in early to mid December Apple auctioned off plenty of hardware on DoveBid. May have been in anticipation of slow sales over the holidays and to scale back current inventory for the arrival of new systems.
We'll soon see I suppose.

Back