New powermacs...

FrgMstr

Registered
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new Powermac - any one have any idea when they are going to be updated?

Cheers

There are no new PowerMacs. Your only hope would be to find one that has never been unboxed. Apple discontinued the PowerMac nearly three years ago. It uses Intel processors for its computers now. It will not update its PPC-based models.

I *think* FrgMstr would have meant the Mac Pro, despite of what he was calling it. So... Here's my thought about new Mac Pros: Intel has recently released new Xeon processors (the ones used in the Mac Pro) that could be used in this machine type.

Thanks guys - yes I did mean Mac Pro's.

I have seen the new Intel proc so thought as much. I will hold off and get a new pro when its announced then.

Cheers,
D

UnLESSSSSS you want to save money. "Last year's model" is not a bad way to go to save $$$. The benefits is that you get something many people have used and have given opinions on. I have a MacBook with a 2 Gig processor because the owner--who only used it to surf church websites on Sundays--just HAD to have slightly faster processor. More seriously, it came from a dealer.

The downside is, of course, you do not get the NEW FASTEST which, I admit, is tempting. I wanted a replacement for a powerbook--yes, that is what I call them!--that served me well for eight years. That may not be what you want.

--J.D.

Thanks Doctor X - I plan on having the machine for about 4 years so think it is worthwhile holding on for the next update.

I actually do a lot of real-time multi-threaded application development and am big into virtualisation. The 8 core mac loaded with 12GB Ram (very cheap from crucial.com) would suit me down to the ground as I would be able to simulate a small network i.e. three nodes on a single machine as well as really push the algorithms in 8 core mode just in mac os.

normally when you buy a machine there are always trade off but in the case of the current macs (the next gen I can only assume will be even better suited) I really think it will meet my needs perfectly in this instance.

I just hope I dont need to wait that long for them to come out!

Thanks,
D

So are we any closer - wish we could have at least had a taster of whats to come from Steve the other day? Getting a little tired of waiting now to be honest but damned if I am going to splash out on a new mac pro so late in its life cycle.

Oh well maybe something in the new year...

You'll never hear anything like "oh, and in a couple of weeks we're talking Mac Pro". There are two possibilities here: MWSF in January or later on in a silent update. Since MWSF is a consumer-oriented event, I'd say there's a good chance the Mac Pro will be a silent-upgrade somewhere between now and March. There are no specific rumours about it.

Back