New QuickTime won't work!!!

Jove,

I did the same thing...I assumed it was 6.1, but it wasn't. I think Apple delays the release of the standalone installer to balance their server load.

Chris

Yes logging in as a different use may be the right track. You could also download the utility called Psuedo which will let you run any program as root.

This was the answer to my Toast quitting until the 5.2 update fixed it. I never figured out how to fix the problem with permissions and I tried every file related to Toast I could find.

Give Psuedo a try. If your Quicktime works with that, then you have a permission problem. Maybe someone with more knowledge here can talk you through fixing it. No one could ever solve the Toast issue. Seems like Roxy did however.

Originally posted by edX
the point in telling you that ours are working is so that you might start looking beyond qucktime for the solution to your problem. chances are something bigger is wrong with your system/directories/etc. than just a bad QT install. ruling out is one of the first things to do in troubleshooting. so if a bunch of people are telling you that QT works fine and no one is saying they have the same problem

edX - please don't take this reply as being smart alecky, but I have to go with jove on this one. First, I do see your logic - if lots of people respond with "mine is working fine" then your average Vulcan would follow your suggested course of logical thought. However, to the poor emotional human whose Mac is suddenly hosed, it is often a very frustrating and trying time (we won't even think about Klingons for now). Like jove said, every time he gets a reply notice, he is all excited that someone has the answer to his nightmare, but is extremely dissapointed to log on to find a simple, "Gee, mine is working just fine."

So, how about a compromise? If one is not having the same problem as the poster, they can reply, "Mine is working fine" but add something like, "perhaps you should try... / can you give me more details on your system/what exact steps you took..." If you don't have a solution or intend to follow up, then maybe it is best to not reply at all? I'm not saying there should be a forum rule on this, but if everyone followed this type of courtesy it would be more useful to the person with the problem (help them achieve your goal of troubleshooting) as well as other people who look in the post or run a search (they will see more ideas that may relate to their problem).

P.S. This thread is very interesting and taught me a lot about updates - I think it is absurd that Apple doesn't have its updates more organized and that their sloppiness may be the root cause of all of jove's recent misery. To take the Star Trek metaphor even further, it is only logical to assume that downloading the checked items to the desktop would result in having the version listed be what you actually download to your desktop! It would be nice if we could really depend on our software updater - kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing if we can't. It has gotten to the point where when I see a new update, the first thing I do is come to macosx.com to see if someone has a problem.

Originally posted by hirez
Yes logging in as a different use may be the right track. You could also download the utility called Psuedo which will let you run any program as root.

This was the answer to my Toast quitting until the 5.2 update fixed it. I never figured out how to fix the problem with permissions and I tried every file related to Toast I could find.

Give Psuedo a try. If your Quicktime works with that, then you have a permission problem. Maybe someone with more knowledge here can talk you through fixing it. No one could ever solve the Toast issue. Seems like Roxy did however.

I logged in as a different user and was able to start Excel. OT 6.1 causes permission errors...

Back