New School with OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelia212

Registered
I will be teaching in a new school for next year. However, they will be moving to using os x in their workstations and have a os x server. I am not sure if there is a way to set up the worksttions so that students login at any computer and are able to access their accounts. In my current school we use mac manager but I am not sure that will work in os x workstations. I am using a os x server at my current school but is 10.0.4 Thanks for any help that I can get. :(

Sure, you can do it! :)

Find out what version of server and client they're using at the school. Mac OS X 10.2? 10.3? 10.4? etc. If its 10.2 and above, you should be in the right ballpark, though you'd be best at 10.3 above all the rest. I'd be more than happy to help you out, though it may be a bit of a large project to set all that up!

Also, where is the school located? If it happens to be in the Chicago area, I wouldn't mind lending a hand, since its a school :)

I am in the Chicago area and I would love your help. I will find out all the information in June. Do you mind if I get a hold of you then? Thank you for the help. :eek:

Sure, sounds good. I'll be away the until about the 11th of June at WWDC. What school is it anyway? :)

Small world, huh?

I'm actually in a suburb, Wheeling. Chicago isn't much of a drive though.

If you guys are using 10.3, which is the OS I suggest to most folks, it won't be too bad to set this up. We'll want to create an Open Directory Master, LDAP entries for all the accounts you want to be able to login and then bind the desktop machines to that LDAP (OD) server. You'll have to be sure that you have DNS and DHCP running. Then, you'll want to start up the AFP service on the server and create your sharepoints and permission sets. You can also then create mointpoints and managed preferences.

That should give you a very complete solution. You may also want to check into Apple Remote Desktop 2.

Thanks that was helpful. I looked it up on apple support and I got some idea on how to do it but I am pretty sure that I will still need your help in the future. I am exited to do this over the summer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back