New spec Ti G4 powerbooks

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Apple took half a step in the right direction with these updates to the Powerbook like. They didn't go far enough, however, in the Video chipset category.

While sufficient for 2D work, the Radeon 7500 is a poor choice for any professional doing CAD/CAM/3D work. I understand why Apple went with it (more powerful chipset would consume more power, and shorten battery life, plus the drivers for the ATI chipset are already present), but if Apple wants professional people to adopt the Powerbook as a mobile workstation, they have to adopt a workstation class graphics chipset.

That said, this is a step in the right direction. However, they would have arrived had they included an nVidia Quadro4 64MB chip. This chip is available in a mobile version, and Dell is using it, and snagging alot of 3D professionals who want a portable solution for 3D.

Not quite enough to get me to sell my PBG4/500. But inching closer....

I am pretty sure that Apple has a contract with ATI to only use their GPUs... I think the contract ends soon though... So maybe Nvidia GPUs for the laptops are on their way! :D

-B

Also of note about the new TiBooks:

• No IR port. :(

• Nice suite of third-party software (I assume they are registered, like on the PowerMacs): Snapz Pro X, GraphicConverter, PixelNHance, PCalc... NOW JUST INCLUDE APPLEWORKS GOSH DARNIT!

Hmmm, sweet. :p

As the old saying goes: "That oughta shuttem up."

And, as I understand it, the Superdrive requires twice as many laser/lens assemblies in order to read and burn to both layers on a DVD-R (4 total). The combo needs one extra assembly to read the second layer on a DVD, for a total of three assemblies. So, yes, at this stage there isn't a way to squeeze a superdrive into a shell as slim as the PowerBook.

OMG.. The new TiBook 800 model comes with 2 fans...!

One on the back and one on left side (should be for display card).

Hey, what must be done must be done :)
There is room for one there anyways, I've noticed there is air ventilation grating on the left and right back sides of it, so it shouldn't be that big a deal. It could use it there anyways. This computer gets really hot up there right now.

Back