New Stuff on 28th

Quietly

Maybe
1) Mac Mini. Same form-factor, single & dual Intel versions.

Has Front Row which has new function - ability to share iTunes library through subnetwork. Oh, and Photots & Videos too!

2) As predicted, iPod HiFi. Oh, and iPod cases.

3) Er, there wasn't a number 3. That was it.

Too bad it's more expensive than before. :( Is the Mini going to go the way of the iMac now? (i.e., a cheap, basic system that slowly becomes an expensive, feature-rich beast.) Already I feel like Apple's created a void at the low end that they need to fill.

Here we go again. The mini goes up by $100 in the US, so what's the increase in the UK? That's right £80! That'd be $140 if you were wondering...

Another disappointment: apparently it has no graphics card. They're pulling the same "shared system memory" nonsense that Dell's been doing for years. That can't be good. Or has Intel seriously improved their integrated graphics with this new generation?

I can't find any word on whether this support Quartz Extreme (I would assume so), Core Image (I hope so...) or the fabled Quartz 2D Extreme. If anyone finds this info, please share.

I am slightly disappointed in the price and agree with the above in the aspect that a void still exists. 499 and 599 would have been great. I could live w/o the remote control... have no use for it.

Isn't that top end mini now getting around the same price the Emac was but without the screen and peripherals? I know it's supposed to be 4 times faster and have some flash new software but, eh I don't know.

It would be nice if they introduced some 'low end' screen at around £250-300 to go with that mini. Either way all the prices in the range seem to have jumped up a bit, glad I got my Imac when it would still be considered cheap compared to what's on offer now. Does anyone think there will be a fall in these prices once the whole line is converted to intel?

Lt Major Burns said:
an entire keynote to anounce basically a speedbump to the mac mini?

was there anything else?

Though to be honest, Apple haven't made a big deal of this announcement - they invited people at short notice and haven't publicised it. I guess it's just us all wanting something BIG, as usual :)

How disappointing. That "boombox" doesn't even look like an apple product, more like a kid made it in woods class and put his iPod dock in it.

BUT, I have faith in Apple. They've found ways to shock and awe even the most loyal fans. Maybe they just did a "minor release" show to make us all feel crappy, but in a few days (weeks? months?) we'll all be out of our pants with excitement on something new.

This is a MAJOR disappointment. They upped the price on both the low and high end model of the Mac mini, and they've removed the discrete graphics from the devices. MAJOR disappointment. For something like this, I wouldn't pay more than 500 bucks for a Mac mini with shared graphics, and that's in reference to the dual-core CPU. The Reality Distortion Field is losing its grip slowly and surely. Usually I'm on Apple's side when it comes to their hardware, but this is ridiculous.

I'm hoping that the April 1st event will be a better showing, if there's anything to show.

Trip said:
How disappointing. That "boombox" doesn't even look like an apple product, more like a kid made it in woods class and put his iPod dock in it.

BUT, I have faith in Apple. They've found ways to shock and awe even the most loyal fans. Maybe they just did a "minor release" show to make us all feel crappy, but in a few days (weeks? months?) we'll all be out of our pants with excitement on something new.

It could have been much worse. Just check out this.

the mac mini is now the same price as an ibook. which does of course already have a keyboard, a screen and a pointing device, as well as a proper graphics card.

For now. You can guarantee once the ibook is switched to intel the price will be stacked up, my guess is £899 (hopefully not with the same integrated graphics the new mini has).

Hm. Maybe there'll be a Celeron version as the ultra-low-end Mac mini once Yonah-based Celerons become available? I guess they really just wanted to move the mini to intel as quickly as possible - but intel so far hasn't switched to the new core(s) for consumer-price products, really. Hence the 599 USD Mac mini entry point right now...

How is this the same price of an iBook, btw.?! I don't quite see that. Ah, you mean the _highend_ Mac mini. But that's quite a different beast processor-wise. So don't comare them just yet...

The boombox? Yawn. Not for me.

i've just realised... wasn't the iBook meant to be comparable to the iMac? and the powerbook comparable to the Powermac?

what happened?

The boom-box is 349 for an iPod player and an input jack..

Does that seem a little much to anyone else?

I guess thats what you pay for high-quality sound.. but, hey, thats almost as much as the high-end iPod video! Even a low-end refurb mini, perhaps. Thats Apple for you..

I'm really quite unimpressed with the Boombox. I can't really imagine a market demographic that would actually buy the Boombox. Only one aux input? Can't be used as an actual iPod dock? Has the volume control as a couple of buttons? And as for "Hi-fi your home", well hardly. Don't most homes in Apple's potential markets have a TV set, a video or DVD player, and so on? I just think they haven't thought of what this *could* easily be. I also don't like how the iPod sort of perches on top, where it looks really vulnerable and out of place.

As for the Mac mini, its a nice update, thanks for the extra couple of USB ports, but come on Apple, you're supposed to be trying to bring the mini down in price. Thats what the mini is for.

Intel GMA950 graphics

I am impressed that this device actually supports core image/video applications. (front row is using core image etc.) Shared memory, I'll pass this one up. Hopefully the next iBook model features "dedicated" video RAM.

Back