New Sub-Notebook Rumors

icemanjc

I'm cool, I have a mac.
Apples new sub-notebook wont have a CD-Rom drive or a hard drive instead it uses NAND. This is kind of like the duo line.

The full article.

AppleInsider said:
This new tiny MacBook, people familiar with the project say, remains in development ahead of its target launch date around the time WWDC rolls around mid-year. It will be both lighter and more compact than any other Mac portable Apple has put forth in recent years, bundling a display of similarly smaller proportions.

Also setting the new model aside from its existing counterparts, those same people say, may be the conspicuous absence of an optical disc drive. Although Apple's original plans for the notebook called for its inclusion, reports are that the daunting ergonomics have recently driven company engineers to make a concession, forming yet another parallel between the new notebook and the defunct PowerBook 2400.

At the same time, the new MacBook model is expected to introduce some features not yet available with Apple's existing notebook offerings, such as onboard NAND flash. Plans reportedly call for the notebook to be the first of the company's MacBook offerings to utilize the solid-state memory in order to improve power efficiency and facilitate near instantaneous boot times. This feature, however, had not been frozen upon last check.

For Apple, the pint-sized MacBook should do more than just fill a niche in its notebook arsenal. In fact, management is hoping the new model will strike a chord in Japan, where consumers have a near-fetish for compact, cutting edge electronics. Hopes are also that the system plays its part to offset some of the declines adversely affecting the region's home computing market.

"Hopes are also that the system plays its part to offset some of the declines adversely affecting the region's home computing market."

I thought everything apple was on the rise, almost everywhere in recent years? I know thats the case in New Zealand, and I thought thats what the rising market share reflected?

... Anyway. It would be cool to have, my 12inch powerbook is almost the perfect machine for me, expect for the fact that it dies whenever its dropped. If it can handle CS3 well, then this new model may be the most-perfect laptop for me. Looking forward to it.

Yes, it really would be nice. A dedicated desktop and one of these would fit my life perfectly.

Yah, I never really need a CD-Rom drive and even 30 Gigs of space can be ok. But I would love to see instantaneous start up, that will be sweet.

While I love my iPhone, it is just a little too small/slow to use for trying to get something accomplished in the living room or family room while watching the kids or attending to something else. Don't need a full laptop, so some type of sub-notebook would be great.

Probably, yes. It really depends on what it "is", once it's actually announced/released. If it, in some way, is dedicated like the iPhone or iPod touch, i.e. can't have the apps that I really want, then no, I won't be a fan. But if it's really just a really small MacBook or MacBook Pro, then yes, it's definitely what I wanted for a long, long time. :)

From what I read they are talking about it being brought out at the Mac Expo in Jan. even if it not in the stores then hopefully we will get the whole story on the specs sooner than later

It would make sense now that we can remote access our macs and really synchronize between two machines.

This would be a great extension to my iMac. I'll take the ultra with me when I travel (or on the sofa) and keep the iMac runing and available for my other family users.

Back