New Themes/Smileys

Yeah, they're not bad at all.
Edit: In fact, these rock!

I have to pass them by Admin.

After all, he still has the final say!

To save my lazy bum some time...

Ladies and gents, If you'll be sending in submissions for smileys please format the submissions as per the attached.

It makes it much easier for everyone involved in all the e-mailing and so forth.

But, please do keep them in seperate files as well. That way, should we use them, uploading will be a piece of cake.

Note that the top is the "dark" background of the boards and the bottom is the "light", not white. ;)

Thanks.

Attachments

• smileys_wdw.gif
    smileys_wdw.gif
    4 KB · Views: 26
Hey wdw_! I liked your idea of the buttons and I have another idea: different colors for different smileys.

An example: Mad can be red, happy can be yellow, scared can be blue.

How about it?

You can make anything well defined at small scale by carefully increasing the stroke width. Since we're not worried about them looking nice when they're scaled up, we can ignore than and concentrate on small scale.

Working large and then minimizing only works in vector format, when you can zoom in and out without generational loss and raster artifacts. Make big, well defined images in Illustrator and then zoom back out. There are also a few tricks with antialiasing that you can do when you make them into gif files, but for the most part you'll get what you see.

Another useful thing for you guys is the View-> New View command in photoshop, so you can keep the scaled down image at proper size while zooming in to tweak the pixels...

Designing at such a small scale is really, really, really hard. Single pixels start hinting at lines or shapes, and that gets really really tricky, but the aqua smilies can totally work. Look at my avatar... those little suckers are about half the size of your average smilie (16x16) so you can definitely pull it off. Then again... the alien I tried to make earlier didn't look so hot ;)

Originally posted by xoot
Hey wdw_! I liked your idea of the buttons and I have another idea: different colors for different smileys.

An example: Mad can be red, happy can be yellow, scared can be blue.

How about it?
The thing is that darker colors like blue make the black lines, which make up the expression, harder to see. I figured yellow was bright and made the expressions easy to see. So I don't think blue would work; maybe red would work.

If the colors are going to be secondary to the image, use tints and pastels to maintain the contrast within the details.

In response to martinatkinson's post:

Good smileys! What you need to do with them now is to change the colors; not just yellow. Thanks! :)

Hello!

What colors would you suggest? I know the embarressed icon gets red but what were you thinking? I will see what I can do in Photoshop but since I did not design these I do not have the PSD file.

Have a great day!

Albert

Sorry, martinatkinson, I just now have read wdw_'s post about colors. Don't worry, everything's fine. :)

wdw: those smilies is really great, I would love to se them on these forums.

My only problem with the ones we have now is that I think we need some more different emotions! One that I really miss is one that not sticks his tounge out to kinda tease, but one that expresses weirdness, like the one that is produced by : P in MSN Messenger.

Attachments

• em_tounge_smile copy.jpg
    em_tounge_smile copy.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 10
Here is a description of the brown theme:

Eat 42 carrots. Poop, and then look at it. That is the brown theme. :)

Back