New tiger build

It's all very interesting - as are the various snippets of information about Tiger on the AppleInsider site.

But can anyone remind me when Tiger is due to finally make an appearance - or hazard an ducated guess? Clearly it will be somewhat later here in the UK than in the States - but all these tempting screen shots and sneak previews on the Apple site are whetting my appetite!

I want to get my hands on it....

At WWDC'04 (June/July 2004), Steve said 'first half of 2005'. And it's going to be a worldwide start, not gonna be later in the UK than in, say, Switzerland or the US.

My educated guess is that Tiger's going to be released on Mac OS X' birthday. That'd be March 23rd.

My guess is that they are waiting on Apple's branch of GCC 3.5 for Darwin to be completer as well. Targeted for Winter and then all of OS X and its apps recompiled and tested. 3.5 has a ton of performance improvements including a new and better optimization layer as well as auto-vectorization.

fryke said:
However, I haven't seen one make chatting across protocols seamless. It basically rather means that you yourself have various accounts with their buddylists combined. Your AIM buddies still can't talk to your Jabber buddies - unless they, too, have accounts on both protocols.

This _does_ work between ICQ and AIM, however.
Becuase AOL bought out Mirbalis and ICQ + AIM networks became integrated.

Yes I know. But the more important part of my message, for me, was: "I wonder how Apple will promote Jabber. Will it mean that an iChat user can't necessarily talk to _another_ iChat user (one using .Mac, one Jabber, for example)? That'd not be _that_ easy to market for Apple..."

But I think now they might simply be promoting it as an additional option for 'closed' company networks...

During the Panther Beta cycle, I went through a ton of CD's, constantly burning new updates to the OS. WWDC took place this year in July and it is now October, yet I still have the same copy of Tiger without any updates to my account. Have I missed something, or are they just not giving their members any of these builds?

Back