New to Mac, How to edit movies?

digitalox

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to pick up a new powerbook with the superdrive, hopefully this weekend. I've been using windows/linux/bsd for quite a while, and this will my first apple since mmy old apple II GS. I'm totally new to video editing. I'm sure I'll figure out the software as I go along, but what about the hardware. Basically for my first project I just want to start burning some of our home videos onto dvd. Is there an input port for A/V or do I need to buy hardware that takes A/V and sends it in the firewire port. If I do need extra hardware, what might I need?

Thanks,
digitalox

If your camera isn't digital or doesn't have a FireWire port, you'll need a box like this one or a Sony DVMC-DA2 to convert from analog video to digital. It's probably cheaper on ebay.

OK, I get it, I will just need an analog to digital converter with the firewire output. Easy enough. Just gotta come up with the extra cash on top of the laptop!

Thanks!

The irony is that it's actually cheaper to buy a '98 Mac with analog input than the converter box is :rolleyes:
But I guess you'll get better quality with the converter.

Dazzle has a converter box that cost less than the Formac version. I have never used either, so I cannot attest to anyone of their performance.

Most new macs come with iMovie that lets you edit your movies quickly and easily and you can even add music!

Cheers

Originally posted by orangefunk
Dazzle has a converter box that cost less than the Formac version. I have never used either, so I cannot attest to anyone of their performance.

I've used Dazzle, and wouldn't recommend it. ;)

Back