New to the world of mac. I have a few questions.

a.bing

Registered
Hello!

I am a pc user looking to switch over to a mac. I have a few reasons for wanting to switch, the price of xp pro, the activation process and always having to be super cautious because of virii and spyware. I have a few questions to ask, as i dont know a lot about macs and so i thought i would ask where there are some mac gurus.

As far as i am aware macs dont have a registry, but i dont exactly know how the process of installatiion works and what is done when programs are installed. Can someone explain this to me?

I am looking at the powermacs but they seem (from what i have read) to be limited in terms of the hard drives you can use and the amount of storage. Is there any way around this? Can you add extra drives inside?

In general, without wanting to turn this post into a contest, what are the benefits of using mac over windows? I would like some input really from people who have used both. Input from people who have used one or the other is great too, as i would like to get a rounded picture to help towards making my decision. I hope i fit in here!

a.bing

There are two main ways in which applications can be installed on a mac, both are very simple.
1) Some applications come in an installer package (.pkg or .mpkg). When you double-click the package, you get an installer program which ask you whether you accept the license, where do you want to install it, what options, etc. You just follow the instructions on screen and the installer tells you what it is doing and when it is finished.
2) Some other applications come as a disk image (.dmg). You double-click the .dmg file and a disk image is mounted on your desktop, as if you had inserted an actual disk into your computer. You can open this virtual disk as if it were a folder. Inside you normally see an application icon. You can drag and drop this to the place where you want to install it.

In general all applications generate some files on your system either when they are installed or when they are lanched for the first time. Mostly they will put a folder in the Library/Application Support folder. Applications in Mac OS X look like a regularly clickable icon, but in fact hey are a kind of folder too, called a bundle. By right-clicking or control-clicking them you can access their contents and see how they are made up. They mostly contain the different localosations (the interface in different languages) and some files like default settings, icons, etc. Normally you don't need to access or modify these, so you can treat applications just like double-clickable icons. Normally you will want to install/copy your applications into the Applications folder.

The PowerMac storage is indeed limited to two drives AFAIK. But since there are now up to 250/300 GB drives avalable this is hardly a limit. For graphic/movie professionals, this can be a minor drawback, but I would suppose that if you regularly work with such big files, you have a server running alongside your workstation for storage. Also, you can always hook up external drives through firewire to expand your storage capabilities.

On the towers, if you don't have a 2nd CD/DVD/Zip/Jaz internal, you can also put a HD up there on the shelf they fit on. I have 3 HDs in my G4/466 this way.

Pretty much what Cat said about applications, .apps are actually folders with most of the resources inside, some applications like he said setup a application support directory. Application use propertylist files instead of the registry for preferences and settings. plists are just simple xml files that do kinda the same thing as the registry, the benefit is that if a plist file becomes corrupt, you can just delete it and the application will just recreate it if it is not there.

The big advantage of this is that it is super easy to backup your applications or copy them over from one OS install to another. For example, when I upgraded to tiger, I made a back up of my applications, after it was installed i just copied them back down and they work.

As far as storage goes, you can get 3rd party parts that allow you to put an extra 4 drives in the PowerMac. Although honestly, Firewire 800 is more than fast enough to be used as storage. Typically the best way to do things on any system is to have a system drive, and then a storage drive. Might as well make the storage drive external.

Reasons to switch, well apple makes it seem like you won't have any more problems if you switch, I don't think this is true. As you probably can see people have plenty of problems on this board, however you will have to deal with a lot less crap on a Mac, viruses, spyware, drivers. I think the biggest reason to switch is not the hardware (as sexy as they all are) but really the software, OS X is really cool. After you use it for a while you will find all sorts of little things that aren't in windows that really make a difference.

If you can, try to find a way to use a Mac for a while. Preferably it would be best if you could try to use a Mac as your main machine for at least a week, but I realize this is not to easy to do. You may or may not like it, it is a lot different than windows and some people just don't like it. I don't think you could make the correct decision just by reading peoples responses on this board, we can give you all sorts of details and make it sound appealing but in the end you might not like it, and a PowerMac is a big investment.

a.bing said:
In general, without wanting to turn this post into a contest, what are the benefits of using mac over windows? I would like some input really from people who have used both. Input from people who have used one or the other is great too, as i would like to get a rounded picture to help towards making my decision. I hope i fit in here!
The benefits of using a Mac over a PC really depend on who you are and how you use your computer. For the basics such as internet, email, chatting, word processing, Macs are easier and work better because you don't have to worry about getting infected with a virus or getting tons of pop ups and having your system slow to a crawl from spyware.

If you use software that is very specific (i.e. something for your business, for an engineer, etc) then there is a greater chance you won't find that same or similar software for the Mac. However that is becoming less so nowadays as more and more applications are being developed for Mac OS X.

Macs are just more fun too. You can play around much more in it, and don't have to worry as much about drivers getting screwed up or the system freezing up because it can't handle NotePad and FireFox open at the same time :) You'll notice on that Mac that you can be much more productive because Mac OS X handles multiple tasks at once much better then Windows. You'll also find that you have much more control of your system. If you want to get rid of a program, you simply drag it to the Trash. No need to go a special control panel to remove it, or run an annoying uninstaller (although there are some programs that do this). Contrary to what people say, Macs do have games. Most of the popular games that are availalbe for the PC are available for the Mac.

The only advantages I see PC's having over the Mac is they are more customizable (you can't build a Mac yourself), and they have tons more games (but that only applies to the hard core gamers out there).

If you're getting a PowerMac, remember they can only communicate internally with Serial ATA hard drives (which are faster then IDE, but they are a tad more expensive I think).

You won't regret it. It'll be your best computing decision :)

a.bing said:
1. As far as i am aware macs dont have a registry, but i dont exactly know how the process of installatiion works and what is done when programs are installed. Can someone explain this to me?

2. I am looking at the powermacs but they seem (from what i have read) to be limited in terms of the hard drives you can use and the amount of storage. Is there any way around this? Can you add extra drives inside?

3. In general, without wanting to turn this post into a contest, what are the benefits of using mac over windows? I would like some input really from people who have used both.

4. I hope i fit in here!

1. I can't help with the technicalities on this one. Physically, programs are installed with installers or simply placed in the Applications folder. There are other things I could mention, but how things work at the UNIX level, I do not know.

2. Check the specs online at the Store at Apple.com. But, yes, they are expandable.

3. I like both very well and use both extensively. Here are my reasons. Currently no viruses and no malware affecting Macs. Not having to deal with Microsoft and its annoying approaches to things (but, still, Microsoft is an excellent company). Feeling of community in Mac/Apple world. OS X is a better operating system than XP (but XP is quite good, and Longhorn has great potential). Macs are more stable for some than PCs, but stability really is primarily a function of the user (i.e., OS X saves more from themselves than XP does). Integration and usefulness of software supplied with Macs. While our PCs are great/useful machines, I end up tinkering with my iBook more than the PCs, and I like to tinker.

My view is that the best approach is to be in both worlds. Doing so greatly enhances the computing experience for me. And, by being in both worlds, I can differentiate between the bunk/junk/hype/over zealousness and the way things actually are.

4. You do.

1. This has been covered well enough, but just to clarify: No, Macs don't have a registry. Applications are usually installed by running an installer, or by simply copying the application into your Applications folder (or anywhere, for that matter).
When an application is first run, it saves default settings into a .PLIST file in your (home)/Library/Preferences folder. Any preference you change or set is then saved into this file. Thats why, if an application becomes what us Aussies would call FUBAR, you can delete this PLIST file and the application reverts back to its default settings.
To uninstall an application, you can just drag the application to the trash. This gets rid of all of the application except for the preferences (which are in the aforementioned PLIST file) and any cached data, etc (check the {home}/Library/Caches folder). Either way, simply deleting the application will uninstall it neatly without any errors or broken registry entries.

2. As stated before, yes you can add extra drives inside; however the most desirable method of adding storage for most users is external firewire drives. These have the advantage of being portable from one computer to another, and are certainly fast enough - even for video.

3. Macs are, from my point of view, just less hassle. Viruses and malware, software updates, driver incompatibilities, and hardware patched together from multiple sources all make PC ownership quite a lot of effort.
Simply knowing that I have one supplier to consult/blame/call on if things go wrong is a great comfort, too. It makes owning a Mac a lot cheaper in the long run.

4. You are, of course, welcome here. :)

I appreciate the replies, so thank you all that have replied. You have made me feel very welcome. I didnt actually say what i would my computer usage is, so i will post it now in case it has a bearing on anything else i should consider. I use my computer for office work, photo editing, occasional movie editing, web browsing, ripping cds, watching dvds. I thought the powermac would be a good choice, as it is quite close to a pc tower and has expansion available.

Robn kester - You said that you can put an extra hd in one of the optical bays. Does this apply to all powermacs?

Also, i have had to install windows quite a few times due to a general slow down after installing and uninstalling programs. Is the mac subject to this? Is it just as common to have to format and reinstall with a mac after a while?

I will try and find an apple store and try out the os, but im not sure if i will be able to use it any long period of time. That is good advice, and i will try and utilize it.

Thanks

with the powermac G5's, the current model, there is only one optical drive. if you replace this with a hard drive, there is no optical drive. hassle. you can fit well over 500gb of storage in the two bays, and if you really want more, you can pick up a laCie 1tb external FireWire 800 drive. this will run just as fast as internal (800mbs) and is, well, 1000GB. more than enough for ANYthing, and if not, buy an Xserve....

i have noticed very little (probably no) slowdown over time in my time with macOS, and this is because there is no registery (or, at least, this is a simple way of putting it). it stays fresh!

i like macOS because it is SO! stable. illustrator or photoshop can be doing something REALLY intensive, and yet, all of the operating system still works as if nothing was running. very impressive. also, i love the little lovely graphical things that just happen, to make it a better experience. like minimising! it goes "whoooeesh!" into the dock!. the dock goes woooeeeooo as you move your mouse around the icons, exposé show all your windows smoothly, so you can see where they all lie...

mmmmm i love my mac....

If there is a nearby Apple store... register for a "getting started" workshop. You will be put into a FREE class in introduced to OSX (you do not need to own a mac). I had planned on doing this, but my girlfriend bought an iBook about a month before I got my mac. So, I used hers and fell in love with it. If using someone else's mac for a while is not an option...I imagine the class is the second best intro to OSX and apple. Since I did not take it, I have no idea how fast paced it is (I guess depending on how technologically inclined you are there is the potential to be bored...but I figured it is all new so why not take it)

Its ironic because I actually talked my girlfriend into getting her iBook (with help of the very informative people at our local apple store) before either of us had ever touched a mac. I became infatuated with macs a few years ago when I first visited and apple store and challenged the sales person to convince me why I should switch. I told him what I would use it for and apparently he either had similar interest, could read my mind, or just really really new macs. In any case the sales people and the machines were very impressive. Lastly, I just grew sick of m$...especially when I started learning some programming...not that I think I could make an OS, but they really could improve theirs!

Sorry so long...I guess that is a little more than my $0.02

Back