New Trash problem?

Tigger

Bring mich zum Licht!
I have a folder that just does not want to go out of my Trash.
No, it is not a permission problem.
When I try to delete this folder in the Terminal, it just is NOT there.
It looks like the Trash is empty. But in the finder, This damn folder is there!

Please help, because the only option I can think of now is to reinstall, and if I have to reinstall because of such a %*&, I swear I will go to Cupertino and pull down their whole offices with a baseball bat :mad:

you might try moving the folder from the trash to another location, then delete it from there using the terminal.

Originally posted by dkearford
you might try moving the folder from the trash to another location, then delete it from there using the terminal.
I tried that, but I just get the error "The operation cannot be completed because an item with the name ""already exists."

The folders name is ThermoInDock.0_1.tgz.ung Folder

What also is strange that the dialog says "Moving 6 items to desktop". but it is just this one folder, nothing in it.

Maybe I should also mention the message when I try to empty my trash:
The operation cannot be completed because the item "ThermoInDock.0_1.tgz.ung Folder" is in use."

But this folder is there since some time, I restarted my Mac several times since then.

And when I look inside the Terminal, it is just not there. So how can this be in use? Is my Mac haunted by Ghosts, or what?

I'm not an expert in anyway, concerning the terminal.

I use an application called BatChmod -- do a search in the MacOSX section in VersionTracker. Have a play around with it, it normally works with problems like this.

If you have Stuffit deluxe 6.X there is an app called Secure Delete that comes bundeled. I think that this app maybe can take care of this problem!

Originally posted by testuser

sudo tcsh
cd /Trashes

or
cd /Volumes/vol_name/Trashes
I found it in the last one (on another Volume).

But now this is really ridicolous:
when I try to do:
rm -r Thermo...
Terminal tells me that it couldn't delete the folder because it is not empty. But the -r option specifies that folders with their insides should be deleted.
This really drives me crazy!

rm -r Thermo...
Terminal tells me that it couldn't delete the folder because it is not empty

I've had the same message a number of times - annoying isn't it.
I tend to make a note of the folder and then delete it the next time I'm using OS9.

Originally posted by dkearford

I've had the same message a number of times - annoying isn't it.
I tend to make a note of the folder and then delete it the next time I'm using OS9.
I tried deleting it in OS9, but it didn't work.
Although after I deleted it in OS 9 and searched for it again, it was gone.
I will try again later, and see if I have more luck then :)

I now was able to delete it finally.
It was on TWO Volumes in the Trash folder. So on my first try in OS 9, I just deleted one of the two.

Now my Trash finally is empty after quite some weeks :)

This kinda reminds me of Chewing gum sticking to the bottom of a real Trash can...:D

Thanks for your help!

Back